Chapter 3

Avery

It's been three days since my parents dropped the bomb on me. Three days since I have holed up in my room and I am still utterly and completely clueless to how I am going to cope up with this situation.

I signed the contract papers in a moment of weakness and utter helplessness and I had already begun to regret it immensely.
Stupid, stupid me.
I hated how I always let my emotions get the best of me.

Deciding it was better late than never, I opened up my laptop and searched up about this Hayden Knight I am supposed to get married to.
I knew the basics about him, like everyone else did but my eyes widened as I went through all of the search results.
At only 25, not only did he inherit Knight Enterprises from his father, who himself was a renowned businessman, but took his company to the very top, all on his own.
His father had his own achievements I was sure, but staring at my screen I was sure of one thing.
Hayden Knight is not just a businessman, he's a force to be reckoned by.
And that just left me more terrified of my fate.

I go through all the headlines, all in praise of the notorious Mr. Knight who is not only the youngest billionaire, but also the Forbes richest man under 30. I couldn't believe me eyes. A man like that is bound to be ruthless.
And as I went through the pictures, I couldn't help but notice a different model wrapped up against his big arms in each photo. He seemed to have a type, I realize.
Leggy Blondes or Bold Caramel-skinned women all of whom that just happen to be Victoria Secret models.

And If theres anything that I am sure that of, it's that I am a far cry from a Victoria Secret Model.

Now that I know the type of man I am to marry I realized I'll end up killing my self locked up in my room. I finally come down and I can tell my dad was being more tense, my mom more hyper than usual and there was an all round sense of urgency in the air that I couldn't just put a pin on.

"Mom what's going on?" I ask feebly, my voice hoarse from all the crying that I'd been doing. The expression on her face as she whipped around to the feeble sound of my voice, showed that she wasn't expecting me downstairs for a while but she smiled anyways.

"Oh, hello honey, how are you feeling?" I look down and shuffle my feet.
If my puffy eyes and completely umpkept brown hair was a tell-tale sign of anything, then it would be the fact that I was absolutely miserable.
Realizing how silly her question was and how I couldn't bring myself to answer her, she cleared her throat,

"Nothing to worry about dear, did you know 'Livy is going to be coming home today? She shouldn't be long now!"

Olivia is coming. Finally. Finally some good fucking news. I know I can talk to her about all of this that's bothering me. But I also know that Olivia's arrival isn't the reason why everyone is so hassled today. But I have now understood better than to ask my parents what's going on.

I go back to my room and before I know it Olivia announces her arrival in my safe haven, and plops down on my bed next to me.

"Hey Aves, watchaa lookin' at" she hums in a singsong voice that startles the shit out of me.

"OLIVIA OH MY GOD" I practically yell and grab her for a bone crushing hug.

"Ooo easy their sis, I know you missed me" she chortled.
"More than you know" I mumble back.
She smiles sadly at that and I know she knows about my to be 'engagement' too. I feel a little helpless realizing I was the last one amongst the lot to know about my engagement; but it doesn't matter now. Livy's here and she'll help me.

"So I am hoping mom and dad told you about the dinner tonight?" She says lightly, breaking away from my hug. Looking at my clueless face she lets out a little smile and says,

"Well Aves, we're going for a little dinner tonight, and it's an intimate affair but we still gotta dress elegant, come on now, chop chop"

"Dinner?" I ask lazily. "You know how much I hate those and I can't remember the last business dinner that I attended, besides everyone's super boring and we're not even allowed to speak up if we've some opinion worth sharing because despite being so progressive the much older businessman certainly remain sexist and I-"

I am cut off by Olivia who's smiling warmly at me.
"you cannot ramble like this in tonight's dinner, dear sister, besides this ones not like the rest" she hums playfully.

"Really? How so?" I prod, confident that I am right about this.

"Well, it's different because we're having dinner with the Knights, Aves, that's how" she grins gleefully as my heart drops in my chest.

—————-

Hello Lovelies!!! I hope you liked this chapter. But you don't have to wait any longer!
Simple and sweet Avery is going to meet the big bad Hayden in the next chapter!!
CANNOT. WAIT.
Hang in their tight, loves; their story is just getting started ;))