Chapter 10

Avery

I wake up feeling tired and exhausted. I kept tossing and turning the whole night.
I check the time. It's only 8 a.m. Despite being restless I still felt like I overslept.

I hated waking up to this feeling. It just meant the rest of the day will be groggy and tiring too.

I freshen up and go downstairs to make myself something, when Julia comes in looking appalled.

"Miss, what are you doing??" She asks frantically.

I chuckle lightly.
"Making myself some pancakes; would you like to have some too? We can have breakfast together!" I exclaim lightly, resuming back to making some honey butter pancakes.

"You cannot be working Miss, especially since I was specifically asked to look after you." She responds back still sounding appalled.

Knowing that this was a conversation I couldn't win because Helen must have ordered Julia herself, I smile warmly at her;

"How about we cook together, and then you can show me the rest of this mansion?" I prod.

Her face instantly warms like out of all the responses, this one was the last she expected.
She joins me and we work in a comfortable silence.

"You know Miss" she begins;
"I've had to serve many uhh," she pauses for a while and then continues again,
"many previous companions of the young Mr. Knight, and no one has treated me with half the kindness and respect that you've." She smiles warmly.

I was surprised because who wouldn't have instantly warmed up to someone who's as caring as Julia but before I can say anything she continues,

"Thank you, Miss. You're very kind." She says finally and resumes back to beating the batter.
But I couldn't just let it go. It had begun nagging me so I took a deep breath and just go for it.

"D-does Hayden not tell them anything when they uhh mistreat you?" I ask, sounding flustered because I don't know if I am crossing a line with the kind lady or not.

"I've only met Mr. Knight once dear" she says.

Looking at my confused expression, she chuckles lightly and continues,
"Mr. Knight doesn't like anyone in his house or atleast around him, I've been asked to finish the chores, cook his food and wrap it up for him and then leave."

"So you have never actually had contact with Hayden himself?" I ask

"No dear, hardly once or twice, & only at the beginning when I was just hired and learning. But when the young ladies are asked to leave, they always leave in a hassle, and if I am around, they don't bother with their choice of words." She says, looking tired.

"No one should treat anyone that way" I say slowly, mostly to myself but I knew she heard it too when she says
"I know dear, I know"

****

Another day passes with me doing nothing. Mom had sent over a copy of the signed contract so that I could finally go through the do's and dont's but the stack of signed papers just felt too heavy for me to go through.

Its weight a lot heavier than it seemed, I decided I needed just a little more time before I faced what those wretched papers had in store for me.

It's been 3 days since my wedding. Three days since I last saw Hayden and honestly I am a bit relieved. I have no idea what I'll do or how I'll react if he does come back home.
I mean I know he'll come eventually but the longer he stays away, the longer I have time to deal with this, whatever it is.