Chapter 8

Avery

I don't know how long I've been staring into the mirror. What I do know, is that I don't recognize the person staring back at me.

My brown locks have been left down in lovely loose curls. My lips painted with a lovely shade of rosy pink, my eyes have been enhanced with a "lovely fairy look" as Olivia called it. To me, it just felt extra. To be honest, everything felt extra. So unlike me.

But I was told this is how it had to be. The bride of Hayden Knight could not be looking ordinary.

Yupp. That's right. I am getting married today.
To Hayden Knight.

My best friend Shelly marches into my dressing room and stops dead in her tracks as she looks me over.
"Oh my god A, you look stunning" she breathes out, her eyes as wide as saucers.
I smile warmly at her, not trusting myself to use my voice.

I met Shelly in business school, when I was sitting in the cafeteria, reading a book and keeping to myself as usual, when she plops down at my table and starts complaining about this boy who she apparently knew liked her but he wouldn't do anything about it.
I smile fondly at the memory. The poor boy had to swear that he only liked her as a friend before she dumped her vanilla milkshake all over him. And then made him give her 10 dollars for making her waste a perfectly good vanilla milkshake.

I tear up slightly at the memory. Everything was so perfect back then.
"Oh my god, A what's wrong?" She asks worried.
"No no it's nothing, I am okay, we're okay" I say but my best friend knew me better than anyone else and she doesn't push it anymore. Something that I've always admired about Shelly. She knew exactly when to give you space and when to smother you with kisses.

Shelly was my Maid of Honor, something that Olivia wasn't happy about. But I knew I needed someone today to be there for me and not gush about Hayden the whole time. And trust me, I love Olivia, but she sees little beyond ones looks and that's one thing I cannot handle today.

Shelly helps me up straightening my dress to make sure there weren't no crinkles and I sneak a glance at the mirror again searching for some familiarity with my reflection but there was nothing. I felt Completely blank.

Mom and Helen come into the room too, both with tear filled eyes. They've taken care of the entire wedding right from the venue to the cake to deciding the 5 meal course that's to be served to the guests and even my wedding dress.

"Oh doesn't my daughter look heavenly, Helen" mom gushes and Helen was so teary eyed that she could barely nod.

My dress was exquisite to say the least. It had a beautiful floral trail but sat tightly at my waist with perfect fitting over my torso. It's detailing and embroidery was beyond perfect and it sorta had a very light pinkish tint to it. It would look lovely with the ring which too had a lovely rose quartz detailing.