forty nine ⊹ the governor's secret

⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛

⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛⇛

I continued looking through the peephole after she was out of sight for about twenty minutes before I finally gave in.

Merle stopped embracing me after I pulled away, so I walked past him and sat by a nearby bench.

"Hey, sis, you made the right choice" Merle told me before I left him. Is the last I see of Michonne? She's carried me around this past year...and I just refused to go with her or trust her. I didn't know what to do or think at this point.

The Governor came by and sat next to me. "I'm sorry things didn't work out with your friend. It was weird to lose someone by their own choice, though those days had gone. Although not sure this will make you feel better, I'm sure you could use a drink, some company" The Governor consoled.

"Who told you?" is all I could mutter.

"Merle," He answered as I nodded.

"Something to take your mind off of it for a bit" He offered before I nodded, wiping away my tears, and got up as we walked off.

We talked at his house for a while, and then suddenly, it was sunset. "Well, we've gotta get the surprise set up now... so are you going to be there?" he asked.

"We'll see" I shrugged.

"Well, I hope you made the right decision not to drink. If not, have a good night" he smirked.

"That would be just dumb on my part. Water was good enough." I rolled my eyes. Then we went our ways, with me heading to my apartment.

I sat up on my bed and made my way over to the window. 

All the civilians were heading towards that arena-like place

All the civilians were heading towards that arena-like place. I laid down on the bed, looking up at the ceiling to get some deep breaths before getting up and changing.

↫❤⤧❤↬

After I changed, I finally decided to head over to this place to see what all the fuss was about. I arrived to see a bunch of people sitting around and then the Governor, who waved to me once he saw me.

I approached him with a slight smile in the corner of my face. "C'mon, I got the best seats in the house" he spoke as I followed him to our seats.

The Governor was greeting the people as I sat down and looked around at the interior of this place. For a second, it almost felt like I was at a carnival; it was so similar.

I glanced at Milton, who looked upset. I ignored him, though, as the Governor finally sat down next to me. "It's a little loud, don't you think?" I shouted, trying to get his attention.

"Come on!" The Governor clapped as the crowd got louder.

"I don't think—" Before I could finish, the music suddenly blared, and the crowd cheered.

Then, the lights turned on, and that familiar feeling of being back at a carnival disappeared. Walkers were in the arena, chained to poles as if they were on display.

The weird thing is that these people were cheering for the walkers. Like, what the hell is going on here?

Then, a man with a hoodie over his head entered, and the people began to roar in excitement. I covered my ears before suddenly noticing my brother show up in the spotlight as well. Within seconds, I was filled with anger and confusion. "I—but that's—" I didn't even know what to say.

"Your brother? Don't worry, they won't die; we're just having fun." He smiled as I glared over at him. I was about to say something when the crowd started chanting Merle's name.

The whistle was blown as they began to fight, circling each other. I couldn't watch at some points when it looked like they were going to get bit, but thankfully, none of them got hurt.

I couldn't take it anymore and went to walk away, but the Governor grabbed me. "Get off me" I said, trying to pull away.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"What the hell is this?" I quizzed, pointing at the fight.

"It's a way to blow off steam," He managed to say.

"Blow off steam, huh?" I scoffed. You go for a jog to blow off steam... this is sick." I cringed at the thought of what I saw once more.

"Look around. Everyone's having a great time" He said, still smiling.

"That's my brother down there! This is barbaric" I shouted at the male, once more trying to leave.

The Governor wasn't having it, though, as he pulled me down to have a seat. "Look, it's staged, yeah. We pull out the biter's teeth; it's just all for the show" He explained.

"That's still crazy....this is your reason for keeping walkers?" I complained.

"People need entertainment" he shrugged.

"So, your solution is gladiator fights?" I spoke as I was nervously laughing.

"We're reducing these things. We're controlling them, we're shining a light on the monster under the bed... it's fun" The Governor tried to explain as I shook my head.

"Look, it makes people feel better about the whole thing" He sighed.

"It's a slippery slope! You're teaching them that walkers aren't dangerous" I argued.

"We're teaching them not to be afraid" he said, and I sighed and kept on watching. The match ended with Merle winning, and everyone cheered and clapped.

↫❤⤧❤↬

Later, after the match, as everyone began to exit the arena, I watched Merle closely. I decided to confront him about this tomorrow.

I sighed, getting up from my seat and walking towards the exit when the Governor caught my eye when I was doing such a thing.

The Governor walked toward me, but I didn't want to hear anything else that came out of his mouth today, so I ignored him and continued towards my apartment.

As I made my way there, I caught glances of Karen laughing and joking with her friends. All I could do was shake my head before going inside my apartment.

I lay down on my bed, wondering if I had made the right decision. Should I have left with Michonne?

Because she might have been right after all, but at least when I do end up giving birth, it'll be when I'm in a community that has doctors. I'll also be with one of my brothers, and my child could grow up to live a happy life.

I was unsure about it and decided to sleep through my thoughts.