AN UNLIKELY ALLY Ch. 6: Offering an Alliance

MacGyver wiped the sleep out of his tired eyes and searched for some suitable clothes to wear. He peeled off his white undershirt and pulled on a warm long-sleeved sweater. He also ditched the pajama pants and pulled on a pair of jeans. After stifling another yawn, he had his white high tops tied and grabbed his coat and keys off the counter. He turned out the lights, locked the door behind him, and hopped into his vehicle wondering what kind of trouble Nikki was in.

He hadn't seen her in months. She had occasionally called or sent a letter but last he knew; she was happily settled back in Chicago with a nice high-paying desk job that suited her just fine. Her adventures at the Phoenix Foundation were days she wanted to put behind her. At least, that's what she had said.

Soon enough, MacGyver was easing to a stop in the vacant lot by the warehouse that Nikki had sent him to. Strange place for Nikki to meet me in. She must really be in trouble. He entered the first door he found and called out, "Nikki? Nikki?"

The lights in the old warehouse turned on at that moment, and MacGyver saw a figure clothed in a long black nearly floor-length hood. "Nikki?" he called again as he hastened towards the person. But in a flurry of black fabric, the figure turned to reveal not Nikki as he had expected, but Murdoc, sporting his usual devious grin. "Murdoc!" MacGyver shouted with surprise. His surprise soon turned to anger as he questioned, "What have you done with Nikki?"

Murdoc looked MacGyver in the eye and slowly approached him, one step at a time. "As much as I'd like to play games, MacGyver, I have a more pressing issue at hand. So, let's cut to the chase, shall we? I don't have Nikki. That call you got; it was me calling from a hotel phone to get you to come here. I needed to talk to you."

"What kind of game are you playing, Murdoc?" MacGyver asked, backing away with cautious steps.

"One that I don't wish to be playing if we're being honest with one another."

"Quit the mumbo-jumbo, Murdoc. What are you getting at?"

"I need your help, MacGyver."

"No. Na-uh. I did that once before. You were out to kill me again after you got what you wanted." MacGyver pointed a finger at him, still backing away. "I don't trust you."

"That's the way things were back then but things are different now. The tables have turned. I promise that if you help me, I will give you all the files I have on the members of H.I.T. That would be a nice accomplishment to put on your record at the Phoenix Foundation, wouldn't it?"

"Murdoc, I've played that game with you before. You gave us 'evidence', but we didn't get all of them. It was a partial list. And besides, you had promised to turn yourself in, and you high-tailed it outta there."

"I couldn't just—" He scratched his head. "I mean...It wasn't..." Murdoc paused, regrouping his thoughts. "Alright, so I wasn't completely holding up my end of the deal that time, but I'm a different man than I was."

"Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it."

"Look, why are you being so difficult?"

"Why are you not keeping your word?"

"Because I don't—I didn't play by the rules then. But I'm willing to follow your standards if you help me."

"I don't think so, Murdoc." MacGyver spun quickly and started to run for the door, but Murdoc was quicker and pushed the button on the tiny device in his hand. The door swung shut and locked with a loud click as MacGyver tried the door handle.

"There's no escaping, MacGyver. You've got yourself cornered." MacGyver turned to face Murdoc again and the man was right in his face. And he realized that Murdoc was right. He was pressed up against the door and a wall.

"Now hear me out. Can you believe that after all these years of service H.I.T. wants me to retire? And not only that, but they wanted me to train a nineteen-year-old Russian assassin? And after staking out your place all day—"

"Wait, you were at my house, watching me?" he asked, concerned.

"Yes, pay attention. Anyways, I followed the kid back to H.I.T. and they commissioned him to kill me in addition to you."

"That's not my problem."

"Oh, but it is. He wants to prove himself to H.I.T. and build up his self-confidence. He'll be paid quite a considerable amount if he can get you. But I can help you if you help me."

"I don't need your help, Murdoc. I don't want to get involved."

"You're already involved." Murdoc stared in MacGyver's eyes for a moment before speaking again. "Sleep on it. You don't have to make a decision now." With that, he pulled the device from his pocket and pressed the button.

The warehouse door opened and unlocked with a groan and a click. It had started to pour during the reunion of the two men. MacGyver touched the door and started to leave but stopped in the doorway.

"Go on, I'm not going to stop you. Just watch your back. Someone wants to kill you, you know."

"I know! You do!" MacGyver pulled his jacket up over his head and ran to his car.

Murdoc moved to the doorway and shouted after him, "That's not what I meant, and you know it!"

~Don't forget to like and comment!