AN UNLIKELY ALLY Ch. 9: Hold On, MacGyver

The paramedics rushed MacGyver inside of the hospital. Murdoc followed at a rapid pace but was stopped by a hospital security guard as he tried to follow the gurney through the double doors. "I'm sorry ma'am, but I'm afraid you'll have to wait out here. They're taking him to emergency surgery."

"But I'm supposed to shadow at this hospital. I thought I could stay with my nephew."

"Like I said, ma'am, he's headed to emergency surgery. You'll have to talk to one of the nurses. I don't know anything about it."

Murdoc nodded, found the nearest nurse, and explained the situation, throwing in a few tears to aid in his performance. The young nurse sympathetically listened and went to the nurse's station to get some answers. "Nurse Edwards, that woman over there insists that she is supposed to shadow at this hospital. The thing is, I can't find any records confirming it."

"What school is it this time?"

The nurse pointed at the printed name of the university and waited for the older nurse's judgment of the situation. "Oh, you didn't tell me it was that school! They never send the paperwork. It's like they expect us to show around whoever whether they're really a nursing student or not."

"Well, what should I do with her?" the younger nurse, Ariana, asked, biting her lip.

"That gunshot victim that they brought in, he's related to her, right?"

"Mr.—" Ariana consulted her clipboard. "MacGyver?"

"Yes, that's the one, isn't it?"

"It seems so. We didn't find an emergency contact list or anything, but the woman claims she's an aunt or something like that."

Nurse Edwards glanced at Murdoc's feminine outfit and sighed. "Just give her some of those beginner pamphlets and let her help out with her nephew. She's probably so worried about him right now that that's all she can put her mind to. Later, you might take her on your own rounds."

Ariana nodded, gave a small smile, and walked toward Murdoc. "Excuse me, ma'am. What did you say your name was?"

Murdoc looked up, pretending to just have noticed the nurse for the first time. He gave her a timid smile. "Oh, I'm Carol. Carol Summers, that is."

"Nice to meet you, Carol. Now, I just talked to Nurse Edwards over there." She pointed to the tall and stern matronly woman hunched over some paperwork at the nurses' station. "She said that once your nephew gets out of surgery, you can get most of your shadow training with him in the Intensive Care Unit. I have lots of helpful pamphlets you can read in the meantime to refresh your memory and get your mind off Mr. MacGyver's surgery. But first, let's get you some appropriate clothing. How does that sound?"

Murdoc nodded. "Of course. Thank you, Miss...um. I do believe I forgot your name. Please remind me."

"Oh, sorry. I don't think I got around to that yet. Nurse Ariana Forbes at your service."

AN UNLIKELY ALLY

Murdoc absentmindedly studied the pamphlets in his hands. Ariana had given him ones that she thought might be relevant to MacGyver's situation so that he (or rather she) could understand what was going on. The pamphlets he held addressed Signs and Symptoms of a Concussion, Gunshot Victims and Infection, Gunshot Trauma as well as Basic First Aid and Care. He adjusted his position in the very uncomfortable chair and looked at his watch. Several hours had already passed, Murdoc began to worry. What if MacGyver doesn't make it? What if I didn't get him help soon enough? What if Dmitry's shot was more accurate than I thought? Murdoc gritted his teeth. No, Murdoc! You're a professional. You shouldn't be worrying. MacGyver will be fine, and you took care of Dmitry...temporarily at least. Your plan is working like a charm. You'll watch over MacGyver and get him out of there as soon as possible. Then he can help you get H.I.T. and Dmitry all at the same time. He paused and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. Then again, what if I am wrong?

The door that MacGyver had been pushed through a few hours earlier swung open and the doctor that Murdoc had seen earlier emerged. He was in full surgical garb with the mask pulled down around his neck. His top was covered in sweat. Murdoc quickly approached the man, and slipping back into character, said, "Excuse me, doctor. How is my nephew? MacGyver?"

The doctor folded his arms across his chest. "He's fine now, but we nearly lost him a few times on the table. The bullet entered the lower right quadrant of his abdomen. It missed his appendix by mere centimeters. We removed the bullet and fixed the tissue. He had a bit of internal bleeding as well. But we got him all patched up now. Your nephew's quite a fighter." His attention was drawn to the nurses' station as one of the nurses approached. "He'll be brought down to ICU shortly. Now if you'll excuse me."

AN UNLIKELY ALLY

Once MacGyver was settled into his room in the ICU, Murdoc could finally see him. Nurse Forbes led the way through twisted hallways to room 230. She explained that she had to check on a couple other patients and that she would return shortly to show her what to do. "Take heart, Carol. It looks like he'll pull through." She gave Murdoc a comforting pat on the shoulder and opened the door. Murdoc walked a few paces and thanked her as she shut the door and went on her rounds.

Murdoc turned to face MacGyver and the sight of him gave Murdoc a start. He'd never seen MacGyver like this at all. Not even when MacGyver was hurt had he ever looked so pale and weak in Murdoc's eyes. He approached his prone figure on the bed. His eyes were closed, his face was a pale hue, and an oxygen mask covered his mouth and nose with the mask getting fogged up every time a breath of air was exhaled through MacGyver's open mouth. His chest had been partially shaved to attach the leads for the heart rate monitor. The five electrode leads, attached by stickers, were positioned on his upper and mid chest and lower abdomen area. An IV line was in his arm, and the heart rate monitor beat in time while the heart rhythm danced on the screen next to his bed. Murdoc sat down in the chair at MacGyver's side and his thoughts consumed him. If this were any other time—under any other circumstance...I could have killed MacGyver in an instant. Circumstance. A word with so much power in it. A determining factor that could mean death...or in this case, life. Just then, Nurse Forbes returned, and Murdoc stood.

"See what I mean? He made it out of surgery alright. You had no cause to worry." She cast her gaze down at the man in the bed. "Quite a handsome one, he is. Don't you think?"

"But of course." He took MacGyver's hand and held it in his own. "I'm very fortunate to have a nephew like him." He gave MacGyver's hand a pat before placing it back on the bed.

"Now, do you have any questions before we get started?"

"Actually dearie, I do. I was wondering how long it will be until he regains consciousness."

"Well, it's hard to say. It depends on a lot of factors. For him specifically, he was given some pretty heavy anesthesia and painkillers. Not to mention, we suspect that he has a concussion from hitting his head. Those all mean that he'll be unconscious for quite a while."

"But how long is quite a while? Can you give me your best estimate?"

"Well, let's see. It's 1:00, right?" She looked at her watch to confirm. "So, I would guess sometime tomorrow or maybe even earlier." She smoothed her uniform skirt and continued, "But if he doesn't wake up by then, I wouldn't be too worried. He is weak and needs lots of rest so his body can heal." She gave Murdoc a smile. "But don't you worry. Now, let's get started."

~Don't forget to like and comment!