AN UNLIKELY ALLY Ch. 8: Dmitry Strikes

"Now whenever you locate Dmitry, I want him taken out of the picture immediately. Is that understood? Just the way I told you. And get him before any of the trouble starts." Murdoc pulled his gun out and inspected it briefly. All the cylinders were full, so he clicked it back into place and cocked it.

Then he motioned with his head in the direction of a van. "Half of your pay is in the van. You'll get the rest after you've dealt with Dmitry. All of the instructions are in the envelope with your pay." The two men clad in black nodded and each took a different side of the houseboat to survey.

Pleased with his work, Murdoc hunkered down in the tall grass, grateful that the marina had yet to cut this month. He crept closer, keeping a careful eye on his surroundings. A sudden minute movement caught his eye, and he froze. From his vantage point, he could see through one of the windows into MacGyver's living room and at the opposite side of the house, he saw Dmitry, armed with a rifle. He was attaching the sighting scope and checking its accuracy. He took aim and started to squeeze the trigger.

AN UNLIKELY ALLY

MacGyver had just risen from the couch to put his dish in the sink, when there was a loud bang, the sound of shattering glass from the windows, and a hot burning in his side. As the momentum and element of surprise caught him, he dropped the plate, sending more glass fractals to the wooden floor. The shock started to set in, and he grabbed his side, with his haggard breaths filling the silence of the morning. He felt the blood draining from his body and dizziness overtook him. He fell forward, cracking his head off the coffee table on his way down. The bright light of the morning faded as the darkness overtook him.

AN UNLIKELY ALLY

Just as Dmitry pulled the trigger, one of Murdoc's paid accomplices jumped him, making his aim inaccurate. The second accomplice knocked him over the head with the butt of his gun and then chloroformed him. The twosome tied him up and made for the van as Murdoc raced down the hill, shoving his firearm into the backpack.

Murdoc smashed the glass in MacGyver's door, reached his hand inside, and unlocked it, rushing in. He found MacGyver lying face down on the ground in his living room, surrounded by broken glass. Murdoc pushed the table aside and tried to brush some of the glass away before he rolled MacGyver onto his back. He was unconscious. He was bleeding profusely from the bullet wound in his side, and a small trickle of blood was also running down from where a piece of glass had gashed his forehead. Murdoc felt MacGyver's carotid pulse at his neck. MacGyver was alive, but in need of immediate medical attention. He picked up the phone and dialed 9-1-1, while changing his voice to that of a small boy.

After the phone called ended and help was on the way, Murdoc went into MacGyver's bathroom with his backpack in hand. A few minutes later, he emerged with his whole appearance changed. He had used one of his disguises so that he looked to the untrained eye like a middle-aged blonde female. He knelt by MacGyver's side and produced a bathroom towel, which he pressed firmly into MacGyver's wound. The sound of sirens was heard in the distance. The noise made MacGyver loll his head from side to side as he struggled on the edge of consciousness. "MacGyver, can you hear me?" Murdoc asked just above a whisper as he leaned over him, still applying pressure to the wound.

MacGyver moaned, and his eyes fluttered open. His unfocused eyes found Murdoc's and he whispered in a very confused voice, "M-murdoc?" Then he shouted and grabbed at his side as he curled up in pain. As soon as the spasm started, MacGyver slipped back into unconsciousness.

"Hang on just a little bit longer, MacGyver."

When the ambulance and paramedics arrived, they did an initial assessment of MacGyver's condition and lifted him onto the stretcher. After contacting the hospital, they got MacGyver on oxygen and gave him an IV. Murdoc managed to convince him that he (or rather she) was MacGyver's only living relative—his aunt. He also convinced them that he was an aspiring nurse who was supposed to be shadowing at the Los Angeles General Hospital, where they were taking MacGyver.

~Don't forget to like and comment!