AN UNLIKELY ALLY Ch. 7: Murdoc's Back

After MacGyver took a towel to his dripping wet hair and got changed back into his warm, dry nightclothes, he dialed Pete's number.

Pete's yawn traveled through the phone. "Mac? Do you know what time it is?"

"Yeah, Pete. I do. I'm sorry. I just had a run-in with Murdoc."

"Murdoc? You mean he's not dead?"

"Apparently not. The body they found must have been some other unfortunate soul."

"What did he want?"

"I don't know, Pete. But that's not why I called. I wondered if you had an updated phone number for Nikki."

"Nikki Carpenter?"

"Yes."

"Sure, I can check. But why her?"

"It's a long story, Pete. And I'm beat." He sighed. "Can you give me her most recent phone number? I just want to make sure she's okay."

"Are you sure you don't want to tell me what's going on?"

"Not now, Pete. I promise to tell you everything later."

"Alright. I'll get back to you in the morning...at a more decent hour."

"Thanks, Pete. I appreciate it. Sorry for waking you up."

"Uh-huh. Just be careful, MacGyver. If Murdoc really is here, you need to watch your back."

"Yes, Pete. I know. I'll be careful."

"Alright, but I expect the full story tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay, Pete." He smiled at his friend's thoughtful concern.

"Goodnight now. Get some sleep, MacGyver."

"Goodnight, Pete."

AN UNLIKELY ALLY

MacGyver tossed and turned all night long, thinking about what Murdoc had said and wondering if it was more than just a story he had concocted. Just as he had fallen into a deep sleep, his alarm blared, jolting him awake. He moaned and covered his eyes with his hands trying to block out the morning light streaming through the windows.

After a moment, he realized that the alarm was still going off, so he swung his arm over and hit the OFF button after noting that it was 6:00 am. He had forgotten to change the alarm. The silence that followed made MacGyver's tired eyes close, and he laid his head back down on the pillow and dozed off.

When MacGyver awoke again, it was 9:00 am. He yawned and dragged himself out of bed and trudged downstairs to the kitchen. His stomach was growling loudly. He rummaged through the cupboards and fridge before deciding on assorted fruit for breakfast. 

~Don't forget to like and comment!