09 - the song

"What started as a whisper slowly turned into a scream.

Searching for an answer where the question is unseen.

I don't know where you came from, and I don't know where you've gone.

Oh, friends become old strangers between darkness and the dawn."

As Luke sang, Valentine found herself absolutely trapped between the walls of his voice. She had no idea that the man could sing like that, and she was shocked by what she heard as he strummed against Calum's guitar. It had been hours of the three collectively coming up with lyrics, and Luke was finally stringing them together into the form of a song.

To say that Valentine loved the song that they had created together would be an understatement. As they all spit out ideas, it was clear where their inspiration was coming from. The song was about Adeline's impact on them, and it was extremely obvious in the way Luke threw so much passion into his tone.

Valentine stared with intent—as if trying to find something beneath his skin—as Luke performed the song for the two of them. She didn't even know he could play the guitar, and she definitely didn't regret inviting him to help when she found out how effortlessly he could play complex chord progressions that she could only imagine being able to make an attempt at.

"Amen, omen, will I see your face again?

Amen, omen, can I find the place within...

To live my life without you?"

Valentine knew she was taking a risk by suggesting this be the chorus, but hearing it come from Luke's angelic vocal chords eased each and every single nerve she once had.

Something about the three of them sitting in her otherwise unoccupied house and just singing out to the spirit of Adeline—that was sure to be listening in—had Valentine feeling like she could conquer the world. It was comforting, peaceful, and content all the same. The moment was one she wished she could photograph and hang up on her wall. But she was far too dazed by the beauty of the song, she couldn't even move to retrieve her camera if she really wanted to.

"I still hear you sayin' all of life is a chance...

And it's the sweetest, the sweetest... when at a glance...

But I live—I live a hundred—a hundred lifetimes in a day.

But I die a little in every breath that I take."

Similar to the first verse, Luke had come up with the lyrics. Calum began wondering if he even had a purpose for being there besides to suggest a few chords every now and then, because Luke and Valentine were working together like they'd been doing it their whole lives.

In fact, the tanned boy really wished he could get home—it was close to dinner time, and he knew the two could take it from there. He wouldn't even mind leaving his guitar behind if he had to. But he figured that would be rather insensitive of him. Instead, he sat intently listening the same way Valentine was. Because the moment was truly beautiful, and Luke's heartbreaking passion did not fall on deaf ears.

"Amen, omen, will I see your face again?

Amen, omen, can I find a place within to live my life without you?"

Valentine gulped down hard as she listened to Luke play the peaceful instrumental Calum came up with, preparing herself for what was next. It was her turn to sing now. She was nervous, but the idea of a third verse was actually her own, and she wanted to commit to it. She also figured Adeline would want her singing at least a little bit, had she been there to see what her sister had done with the boys help.

"I listen to a whisper slowly drift away.

Silence is the loudest parting word you never say.

I put... I put your world into my veins.

And now a voiceless sympathy is all that remains.

Amen, omen, will I see your face again?

Amen, omen, can I find a place within to live my life without you?"

Luke was the one who was staring in awe then. The two boys had given the girl instruction on how to perform the third and final verse—considerably a bridge—but she had not sang it for them to hear yet and it was baffling to the blonde one.

Luke thought she'd be hesitant to drift off into the moment, he thought she'd be scared to let go of her pride. Instead, he watched with admiration as she practically weeped out the words they all knew were written for Adeline.

"Holy fuck," Calum mumbled low enough for just himself to hear as Valentine went on to sing several runs and gut wrenching notes.

And as Valentine sobbed out the longest note she'd ever sang, Luke felt a little something in his heart flip. He couldn't despiser what exactly it was that had happened to him while she belted the note, but he didn't bother thinking twice about it because he liked it.

Calum almost felt his eyes water up, but he quickly distracted himself as the song rounded its end and Valentine looked up for approval.

꧙꧙꧙꧙꧙꧙

A/N hiii I know this is dangerously short. I am oh so sorry I just wanted the chapter to be the song alone and nothing else because it's an important part for the plot (-:

The song is Amen Omen by Ben Harper and I highly suggest listening to it (linked above or to the side wherever you're reading) it may or may not tickle your heart strings a little. I thought it was perfect for how Valentine and Luke are feeling right now.

I'm writing this while having just posted the first chapter so from past Safiya, I hope you're enjoying this book as much as I am because IM SO IN LOVE WITH IT. Thank you for reading don't worry I hate doing A/N's as much as I'm sure you guys hate reading them so I won't be doing them often

All the love <3