28 - the texting

Valentine was practically counting down the minutes until she could finally ship herself out of state with a boy she didn't even know that well. She was eager as ever, and the texting hadn't done much to ease her nerves.

The two helpless kids who seemed to be digging themselves into a grave hadn't been able to keep away, despite having tried for a few hours after they'd woken up the next day. Luke didn't want to overstep his boundaries, he really didn't. He wanted to keep things peaceful and maintain the harmony, but it was far too hard not to speak to the girl. So around one in the afternoon, he caved in and texted her spontaneously.

Valentine was fully emerged in a television show at the time, and almost completely missed the text. Had she not accidentally dropped her phone on her foot, she would've never checked the notifications to see Luke's name glistening there like a guardian angel.

She had let out a small squeal, though trying to keep herself calm even though Scout had already picked up on the strange noise.

Luke
Hey. Was thinking about you. When do you want to go on that trip? Dying to spend more time together.

Valentine took numerous deep breaths in thought as she carefully articulated her response. She'd wanted to make sure it was good enough for the blonde to take the time to read, but her heart was beating a little too fast at how blatantly flirtatious he was being.

Valentine
Nice to know I'm on your mind. The trip is ours to take as soon as you're ready to take on the task of my ability to sleep through long car rides.

Luke wasn't really prepared to read that. Honestly, he had already been trying to forget that he'd texted in the first place. He was still at Ashton's alongside Michael, and none of the three boys were sober enough to accept the task of talking to Valentine Leonard. Luke felt like he might just combust if he didn't respond though, so he hid his phone and typed away with a childlike grin plastered across his obnoxiously happy features.

Luke
Challenge accepted. What are you doing tomorrow?

Even the Lord would not know what words would adequately summarize how Valentine felt when she read the little slightly fuzzy words. The girl had been shoveling her fathers popcorn into her mouth in anticipation, and she nearly choked on a kernel once the suspense finally burst.

Valentine
You're like... kidding or something right?

Luke had expected a response along those lines. He knew catching the girl by surprise was a bold move, and it definitely lived up to his expectations. He couldn't help but crack a smile at her words, quickly typed out and sent as opposed to the former that she had taken two minutes at the least to draft out.

"What?" Michael asked, questioning the soft chuckle Luke had involuntarily let out. Valentine was just so damn cute to him, he didn't know what to do with himself.

"Nothing, mind your own business," Luke retorted, tone gruff and incomparable to the softened expression he held. The man was a lot of things, but in a bad mood whilst talking to Valentine was not one of them.

Luke
Yes, I'm kidding. How about the first? We could leave on the sixth

Valentine
Of July?

Luke
No, June.

Valentine
Anyone ever tell you that sarcasm killed the gorilla?