53 - mary and calum

Mary didn't really know why she'd taken a liking to Calum. The boy always seemed weird to her, and she'd never showed any interest before Adeline did. Sure, he was fun to have around and she enjoyed his company much more than she'd ever really admit, but he was Adeline's.

Mary and Adeline had quite a difficult friendship. Much like Kellianne and Deleany, they had a bit of a competition dynamic. There was nothing to fight for, yet the girls would make everything into a war. They loved each other dearly, but they were just teenage girls. Mary had made an innocent joke one day about falling in love with Calum the weirdo, and Adeline had blown it way out of proportion. Days of the silent treatment later, and Adeline finally admitted that she had feelings for the tanned boy. Mary ate her words about falling in love with him, and she wasn't really serious about it in the first place anyways.

As the sunlight spilled through Calum's bedroom window, Mary furrowed her eyebrows and woke up slowly. She didn't really remember climbing into bed with him, but it made sense after the night they'd had. It was hours of talking, but that wasn't all they did.

Mary considered getting up. For a moment, she even contemplated leaving before he woke up himself. But she stayed there, head rested on his bare skin. She snaked a hand up, tapping mindlessly against his chest. She hadn't put any thought to the gesture, but it had woken Calum and that meant it was time for the situation to be real.

"Am I supposed to say goodmorning?" Calum asked, voice low and thick due to the good rest he had just gotten with Mary in his arms. He seemed absolutely shameless, and it baffled Mary. "Since when are you all cool?" The blonde scoffed, rolling away from the boy and towards where she had thrown her shirt the night before. She habitually grabbed it and threw it over her head.

"Since when are you in my bed?" Calum retorted, a subtle grin creeping up on his lips. He had just eyes just barely cracked open, like he was afraid of the light.

"Since when did you ask me to come over?" Mary rolled her eyes, knowing that the argument could go back incredibly far if they tried hard enough. It could really be anyone's fault, but Mary wanted to blame Calum.

"I'm not playing that game with you," Calum crossed his arms against his chest where Mary had left him cold after providing enough heat that they weren't even using a blanket. He couldn't really bother to retrieve his own clothes, so he just settled on being shirtless as Mary practically squirmed to cover herself.

"What game?" She smiled, a little trace of admiration peeking through the girls usually rough exterior. She would've treated it like any other random hookup if Calum hadn't been so cute, and she could've sworn he was doing it on purpose.

"The game where you just bitch until you win," he smiled back, eyes now fully open and focused on her where she sat up next to him. He wanted to reach out and rest his hand on her thigh, but he didn't want to overwhelm her. He knew he was still on thin ice because he knew about Kellianne's secret before anyone else, but he didn't want to bring that up and hit any nerves.

"Me? Bitch? Please!" Mary scoffed, not really all that offended because Calum was obviously joking. Not to mention he was grinning like a child by then, and it almost fascinated her.

꧙꧙꧙꧙꧙꧙

When Valentine first woke up, she was slightly disoriented. She was getting used to never recognizing her surroundings upon first opening her eyes, but this time she was overwhelmed with familiarity. Not only was she tangled up with Luke in her old room at her Nana's lake house, but her morning was plagued by endless thoughts about her previous nightmares.