Alastor and Vox Short Story: Upstaged

Art Credit: Milkkirie on Twitter 

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry to interrupt your program but I believe I need to step in and say something!"

Vox practically had rage programmed in the pixels on his screen showing his face, giving a sharp (yet shocked) glare at the deer demon at the front of the stage he was on. Moments ago HE was the one at the front saying "ladies and gentlemen" to a waiting audience, hundreds of eyes aimed at him like he was some sort of savior and not an overlord of hell. The tv demon had been happily devouring their attention as always... at least, before Alastor had strode in suddenly like he was a surprise guest.

Certainly an uninvited one. One who has the gall to try to ruin my program. Again.

Surrounding demons with similar screen-like appearances quickly moved to attack Alastor without even one glance from Vox, cords slithering out of their backs and disturbing images flashing rapidly before Alastor's ruby eyes while the cords shot out at him. Vox smirked, tipping the small hat on the top of his "head" before turning to face the audience and the cameraman.

"Well, it appears we do indeed have a new show for you all tonight! As many of you long-term fans know, I've been meaning to win- and end- my lengthy rivalry with Alastor, or as you may know him, the 'Radio Demon.' Now seems to be the perfect time to do so!"

He spun around with the same twisted smile at Alastor right as he was going to mention something about electrocution, but Alastor had his own ways of dealing with the other demon. All he had to do most of the time was close his eyes and block out the annoying noise he heard, really. And so he did just that, letting his eyes close and raising shadows from the floor that pushed away from the other demons with ease and in the process letting Alastor go. Not that he was in any sort of rush, he hadn't even said what he came for yet. And he was still smiling along with his own surrounding demons.
Vox wasn't.

"How rude! I didn't even begin."

Vox rushed forward to try to stop whatever Alastor was doing himself, but Alastor put up a hand to Vox's "lips," smiling more brightly than ever and twirling around to face the camera with those grinning demons right alongside him.

"Why yes everyone, it is indeed I again, the Radio Demon! Now from what I understand this channel is dedicated to spreading rumors- whether true or false- throughout hell, correct?"

Vox nodded, bowing for a moment before trying to attack Alastor again, who simply kept on dodging.

"Good to hear! Because after seeing your script for today on Princess Charlie's hotel I wanted to have an on-topic discussion about it!"

The finely dressed demon cleared his throat and leaned in so close to the camera lens the tv demon behind it leaped back into the audience while falling off the stage in the process.
Alastor's gaze gave a sinister spark for one extending moment as he stared through all the sinners watching before displaying a much more charming look.

"The Hazbin Hotel is a wonderful business to be investing your time in, one ran by the very princess itself! It's an honest place, and despite how we all hate honesty, it's sure to entertain your purposes instead of keeping you in the same bland mindset of revenge and murder! Plus, it guarantees that with time, you'll never have to look upon the disgusting face of an angel again!"

His confident tone almost echoed hypnotically around to the demons listening. And they certainly fell quiet at his statements, taking them in. They'd been expecting to hear BAD things about the hotel tonight, but here they all were. Paying attention to Alastor. His posture suddenly became one that loomed over everything the camera took in, and there were... symbols appearing at his side, which was no cause of any special effect the camera could provide.

"But do you know what our dear friend Vox was going to say about the hotel? Pure LIES. You all look to him as a source of relief for your desires to gain content from the technology he provides, the news, rumors... But did you ever think about the technology he controls both here and in the mortal realm and how exactly he uses it?"

Alastor smirked, his voice dropping to a loud whisper.

"Many of you are here now BECAUSE of the technology and inventions Vox owns. It's nearly impossible to commit the crimes we dearly enjoy today without getting caught, and that's how we've ended up in hell so soon; whether it was because your actions were on footage, your attempts to break in disturbed by advanced security... the list goes on. Vox does, in fact, own all of the inventions that did these things, and I'm afraid my fellow sinners, that since he has them all down here... he could be using them against you, even now!"

Even as the audience burst into an uproar Alastor's scratchy voice rang above them all, loud and clear in the microphone he now had in his grasp, strange magical markings piling up again.

"So next time pay attention before you listen to falsehoods about our hotel."

Vox lunged forward again, but in the end, he could only blink in shock as Alastor disappeared like the shadows he summoned, leaving the audience in an even deeper state of chaos. ...If he was aware of anything, it was that his rival had surely won this time.