Lucifer/Charlie Short Story: The Argument

Art Credit: Esbelle
Note: Sup peeps, as you know this show literally takes place in Hell, so keep in mind I'm gonna toss some religious references in this one, I have no intention to offend anyone
ʕ ͡─ ͜ʖ ͡─ʔ
Enjoy!

"How many do you think we lost this time?"

Pale scarlet light filtered in through the long, tall windows of the palace, dimly lighting up even longer halls. Standing in front of one of those windows and casting sharp shadows on the floor, was Lucifer. He looked across the hall of the palace at his beloved wife, who could definitely see how he ruined his hair by rapidly moving his hands through it in stress. The question she only recently asked was already becoming a tease in his brain.

"Too many. They certainly killed more than they had to, bastards."

His yellow eyes slit looking at the elegant dress Lilith wore and trying mentally to focus on it as well. Lucifer despised talking about it, but he'd always felt this way during every extermination. Stressed. They'd been going on for centuries and he still secretly counted and analyzed every single one of them. It weighed heavily on both Lucifer and Lilith that they couldn't do anything about it too; it wasn't like they could expand their realm to be any larger to help the overpopulation. The magic there had accommodated them, not the other way around. And heaven wasn't going to accept any demon that was "mostly good," "fairly decent," or "only evil five percent of the time."

"You should learn how to manage your 'kingdom,' brother. It isn't a surprise that we had to come down here to assist you with your issue."

"Yes, well maybe He should learn how to handle living human souls with the help of heaven and that... human son of his. It isn't my fault that after they got so many saviors they still chose to sin so badly and come down here!"

"Both you and Lilith invented the idea of sin."

"...It's still up to the rest of you to teach them not to do what I do."

Lucifer truly didn't regret his "betrayal" to heaven, falling in love with Lilith, spreading his ideas and abilities to humans, none of it. He took a great amount of pride in the fact that he ruled over all of hell along with the demons in it, but every extermination was like a scab at that pride. The king kept feeling the urge to pick at it instead of trying to heal it or let it fade away.

"...Luci."

He looked up letting the demoness he trusted so much come into his view again. There was a weird feeling near his hands that he imagined was the blood of an angel or the blood of one of his siblings for a second- no, Lilith was just holding them. That's what the odd feeling was, before it became familiar to his dazed senses.

"Lilith?"

"Do I need to remind you again that this isn't for you to blame yourself for? You are one of the only people in existence that can feel no regret for your actions and not be expected to."

"I know. I suppose it's fine as long as you, Charlotte, and the overlords are alright."

"Including Alastor?"

"Yes. His power and influence over hell is likely going to make him an important foundation for sin. One that we could definitely use at a time like this..."

As soon as Lilith nodded both demons heard an abnormally light and hopeful tone that went against the entire atmosphere around them. Through everything they'd grown to love hearing the sound of it no matter the circumstance, the voice did belong to their daughter after all. It was Charlie's. He could see that she was still a bit shocked and sad from the new extermination, but she also had a hopeful smile that made him curious. What he was more concerned about was her safety though.