Chapter 6 Final Selection

Kumiko arrived at Mt. Fujikasane marveling at the wisterias that graced the mountain's base. She continued walk until she found herself surrounded by other examinees awaiting the start. She scanned their auras to find many who have been through the same thing she has some with the scars to prove it. It made her feel assured that her scar was not out of place.

"Good evening." Two hostesses whose only difference was their hair color said.

"We will now begin the Final Selection." The white-haired hostess announced.

The blacked hostess continued, "This mountain is infested with demons captured live for this exam. Wisterias bloom on this mountain year-round imprisoning them but there are none beyond this point."

"Your goal is to survive for seven days beyond the wisterias."

The two bowed and said, "Now your trial begins."

---

Kumiko sprinted westward through the woods where the first rays of sunrise would hit. 'I just need to avoid as many demons as I can until sunrise. That should be simple with aura-location.'

"Marechi!" A chorus of five tarry auras dashed towards her from all directions. She mentally cursed herself for forget her blood made her an obvious target and inhaled a puff of air. 

Total Concentration Aura Breathing Sixth Form Shielding Veil Deflect. A protective forcefield formed around her to deflect the demons. Aura Breathing First Form Aura Snatch. The demons' auras were channeled into her blade as she sliced their necks filling the air with the smell of ash as they disintegrated.

"Mom. Dad. Don't leave me!" A demon's memories flashed through Kumiko's mind. She knelt beside it and did what she was couched to do with such demons.

"Do you have any final requests, Juno?" She ignored the many curses the demon spewed at her. The demon questioned where it heard that name then began to cry about its parents abandoning it. As requested, Kumiko stayed beside it until it completely disintegrated. "Rest in peace."

Kumiko heard a commotion in the distance. The tarry aura she picked was darker and convulsed rapidly as a sign of the many people it had eaten. Kumiko emptied her mind and slowed her breathing to become invisible. Eighth Form Concealing Veil.

Kumiko peaked behind a tree getting a look at the demon. Her jaw dropped at the sight; a vivid memory of her brother's replayed in her mind of the very same demon crushing his head. The demon swung an arm at a burgundy haired boy wearing hanafuda earrings sending him flying over to hit against a tree. The fox themed warding mask he wore broke on impact drenching him with his own blood. Another examinee took this as a chance to run.

"Coward!" Kumiko projecting her aura veil to form spiked walls that pierced the demon's arms reaching for the unconscious boy. Sixth Form Shielding Veil Spiked.

The demon looked at its pierced arms then at Kumiko. "A mar-"

"A marechi. I know!" Kumiko interjected. She smirked devilish as she looked through the demon's aura record picking up the memory of his transformation. The guilt and anguish associated with the memory turned her aura veil pitch black. "You're going to pay. A demon like you deserves death by the fourth form."

"Kumiko no!" Kaiya chastised. "I told you only use the fourth form as a last resort! Don't use it for your  personal revenge."  

"But- oh shit!" Kumiko was interrupted by the demon's arm swinging at her. It would have hit had the boy not slashed off the arms. Kumiko switched into the sixth form to block the demon's regrown arms from hitting. "Hey," she called out to the boy, "I'll use a form to stun it and you finish it off."