Chapter 15 Amends Amongst Shadows

Kumiko looked at Kaiya perplexed for a long minute before responding. "Channel her family? Like something a medium would do?"

"Yes. Aura breathers are able to connect to the spirt world through the eye of a kitsune. You happen to be seeing me through one. This is also the same process for the seventh form."

"What about the drawback? You said the seventh form requires you to offer your aura to the kitsune. The longer you use the form, the more aura gets used up. You might not be able to fight any longer."

"There is a loophole to this drawback. If you were to replicate an aura to that of the person in question, you can offer it to the kitsune instead of your own. It only last for ten minutes. This and the other limit don't apply to Minori family since they can offer their aura infinitely. The other limit, you can only channel one person so you will be getting help. Tamaki. Makoto."

Two cloaked figures whose faces were hidden behind kitsune masks appeared. Identical twins with identical auras. Makoto's mask was red while Tamaki's was blue. The youth in their auras hinted to their short lives. Kaiya left to speak with Tamayo while the twins began their teachings.

---

Learning from Makoto and Tamaki was... unique. Their monotone voices added to the eerie atmosphere and would often bring up the spirits. At one point, Kumiko felt a cold chill behind her, and Tamaki casually said that Tamayo's daughter was trying to braid her hair. Kaiya had no luck with Tamayo. Her persuasions only set off Tamayo's panic attacks. Right now, Kumiko was calming Tamayo for the sixth time and also gently convincing her.

"What if they don't want to talk?"

"I sense them, and I can say they want to speak with you. They are also worried about you. This guilt has been eating away at you for four hundred years. If you continue to let it fester, you will miss out on everything that lies ahead. Get caught in all the what if's and you won't truly be in the present."

"... I'm afraid of forgetting."

"Forgetting is not the same as moving on. Forgetting means it never happened in your mind while moving on means you accepted what can't be changed and strive to prevent it from happening again to you and others."

Tamayo remained silently before smiling and cupped Kumiko's cheek. "How are you so wise for a nineteen-year-old?"

"It comes in the bloodline... and experience. Does this mean you'll do it?"

Tamayo bit her lip. "Yes. So long as you and Yushiro are there."

Yushiro and Tamayo-sama's husband in the same room could be troublesome but whatever. "Of course."

---

The night was nearing three a.m. Kumiko and the shadows-as the twins like to call themselves-were making the final preparations. Amidst the silence, Makoto began humming a tune.

"You know Tamayo-sama?" Kumiko inquired, recognizing it as Tamayo's lullaby. The door creaked open with Tamayo reluctantly entering two minutes before three.

"Okaasan!" The shadows bellowed in lively, childish tones. Their identical silver eyes shone through the eyeholes.

Okaasan? They can't be related.

"Hey, my babies." Tamayo cooed as the two snuggled into her.

No way! They are part of the Minori family so how?

Yushiro walked in ready to tell off whomever was close to Tamayo, but his face contorts into pure horror when the shadows tackle "nii-chan" into a hug. A chilly breeze overcame the room as three struck the clock. Kumiko fought to keep her arms down as she had been informed that it was disrespectful to show she was cold, since spirits are self-conscious about their temperature. The five sat around a channeling circle with each channeler [the shadows and Kumiko] holding a candle. Tamayo held Yushiro's hand anxiously while the latter blushed madly.