Chapter 18 Reunion

Evening came in Asakusa. Yushiro packed the paintings of Kumiko and Tamayo, allowing Hina to do whatever she pleased with the remaining ones.

"Thank you for everything Hina-san." He bowed.

"You're welcome. It was great meeting you. Do you plan on continuing painting?"

"I think so. I really enjoy it."

Hina smiled. "In that case," she gave him another bag full of palettes, paint, and brushes, "take these. They are all I can spare but it saves you the trouble of saving up more than you'd have to." Yushiro accepted her offering, muttering a 'thank you' as he bowed once more. "We can keep in touch if you want."

"Yes of course." Yushiro contemplated something for a moment. "Hina-san, I think you should know... I'm a demon so is Tamayo-sama. We don't eat humans but if you want to cut ties I understand."

Hina smiled back. "I already knew." Yushiro deadpanned. "The fangs, the slit pupils, your inability to go out in the day. I put it all together. Since I sensed no malice from you, I gave you a chance and I'm glad I did. You're a wonderful boy. You should go now. Don't want to keep the ladies waiting. Give them my regards."

"I will. Thank you." The two bided farewell and Yushiro walked away towards the rice field. When Asakusa was merely a speck in the horizon, the kitsune appeared now at a height that towered over Yushiro much to his shock. It hunched beside him for him to get on.

It took off into a sprint that nearly made him fall off. The ride was rough, yet the run was light flowing. Yushiro constantly looked to make sure they were running on ground otherwise he'd think they were flying. It seemed as if the kitsune itself made the wind flow as it traveled the landscape and came to a halt in front of the hidden entryway for Yushiro to get off.

"Careful." It warned before passing through. Yushiro thought nothing of its warning as he followed. He regretted it.

Upon passing through, Yushiro was met with the snapping jaw of another kitsune. He jumped back to avoid it. The kitsune went in for another bite but was jumped by the Kumiko kitsune and another kitsune. The attacker whimpered and laid low under the two kitsunes' apprehension. Yushiro realized the new kitsunes looked like him and Tamayo. His attacker had pale blue fur, lavender eyes and a white collar with a tag matching the talisman of his concealment spell. He essentially attacked himself. The other kitsune had light purple fur with Tamayo's eyes and wore a purple beaded necklace matching her hairpin. While the two kitsunes apprehended the attacker, Yushiro took the chance to walk to the house.

Tamayo was seated out front reading a letter and absentmindedly petting Chachamaru. The cat's meow alerted her to Yushiro approaching. Yushiro could feel himself shrink as she walked up to him. "I-I'm sorry. I should have-"

He stiffed up when Tamayo hugged him. "We've missed you. Let's talk somewhere else." Yushiro placed his bags down and followed her in the direction of town. He looked back once and saw Kumiko watching them leave. He could see her let out a sigh before he passed the concealment spell.

---

A heavy silence followed as Tamayo led Yushiro to the town garden. Taking a seat on a bench, he was reluctant to sit down when she pat the space beside her but did so, nonetheless. He could feel her gaze on him. He felt himself shrink under it not daring to make eye contact. He stiffed up again when she pulled him to her. Rubbing slow circles on his back was futile at calming his nervousness.

Tamayo started. "Kumiko has a bruise and a dislocated jaw but otherwise she's alright. Still, it was wrong of you to hit her." Yushiro stayed silent, tears threatening to flow. "She told me everything."