Chapter 6

"One room for my brother-law please, and one for my lovely bride and I," the emperor said to the innkeeper with such a warm and lovely smile, that it made you stare at him in disbelief. Who was this man? And what had he done to the emperor? As the innkeeper wrote down your names and details, the innkeeper's wife walked by. "Oh my, what a beautiful couple you make!" She gasped in delight. "Have you recently gotten married?" The short and cheerful woman asked. You were so shocked by the emperor's strange and friendly behaviour that you hadn't realized that the question was targeted to you. "Jagiya*, don't be shy; answer the sweet lady's question," the emperor cooed with an awfully sweet voice. You knew that this was all a sham, but your breathing still hitched after hearing the endearment. You quickly composed yourself; two could play this game.

*Jagi means honey, darling or sweetheart in Korean

"Yes we have recently gotten married," you said with a shy smile as you melted into the emperor's arms. "How wonderful!" The woman said with a dreamy expression, "How did you meet each other?" You chuckled in delight after hearing the question and placed your hand on the emperor's hard chest. "He saw me walking in the market one day and begged my father on his knees to give my hand to him," you said with a blissful smile, ignoring the death-glare you got from the man who held you in his arms. "I, of course, wanted to marry a soldier, preferably a captain, but he kept on begging and begging, so eventually I settled for him. Isn't that right my love?" You challenged as you looked up into his dark eyes. He gave you a hard stare and tried to muster a crooked smile. "What a lovely story!" The woman exclaimed, "I will give you the cosiest room!" She said with a conspiring wink.

"How very considerate of you," you muttered as you felt heat rush to your cheeks. When the innkeeper finally assigned the rooms, Jungkook and the emperor carried all the luggage inside. You were walking behind them as you chatted with the innkeeper's wife. Once you finally entered the room you and the emperor were both going to share, you felt your stomach clench in nervousness. You quietly closed the door behind you, hoping that he wouldn't notice you coming in. Once you turned around, you found him glaring at you with his arms crossed. "I begged?" He asked with a raised eyebrow as he walked closer. "On my knees?" He asked when he finally stood in front of you. Your back was pressed against the door and he was standing right in front of you; there was no room for you to run.

"I-I had to make up a story on the spot; that's what happens when you don't discuss the plan with me in advance!" You yelled, trying to shift the blame on him. "Oh really? You were awfully creative when you came up with your preference for captains?" He growled with narrowed eyes. You gasped, trying to act offended, but deep down you knew that he was right. It was an unnecessary detail, but you didn't why you felt like throwing it in his face. "It doesn't matter!" You yelled and walked away from. "What is the plan for today anyway?" You tried changing the topic. "Captain Jeon and I will go to the nearest tavern to try to collect information, you will try to extract as much information as you can from the innkeeper's wife; she seems quite talkative," the emperor explained.

Once all the bags and clothes were settled, both the emperor and Jungkook were ready to leave. "Your High-" you started, but was instantly interrupted. "Yoon; call me Yoon," he said with an expression on his face that you couldn't' recognise. You gulped at hearing the name; it brought back memories from months ago when your life suddenly changed. "Yoon, please be careful," you stammered; the use of his name made the moment more intimate then you had expected. "Don't worry Y/N; I will take good care of him!" Jungkook assured with a broad smile, making you smile in return. You waved both of them goodbye and with a heavy sigh walked around the inn. It was time for you to focus and do what you were hired to do; protect the emperor.

"Hello madame, I was looking for you," you bowed to the innkeeper's wife when you finally found her. "Oh dear, there is no need to be so formal, please call me Mrs. Choi," she said with a warm smile. "I was wondering if I could help you with anything? You have been nothing but wonderful to me and I would like to help you with your chores," you said sweetly. "Nonsense dear! The only thing you can help me with is with making tea so I can get to know you better," she said and guided you to the kitchen. While you started to boil water, Mrs Choi grounded some tea leaves. She pulled out a try and put two cups and some rice cakes on it for you to eat. When you both settled down and started sipping you tea, Mrs Choi asked; "Are you going to travel further from here?" "Yes, my brother came to escort us to my village so we can visit my family," you smiled as you made your story on the spot.

"It is the first time after my marriage that I am going to see them again, and he insisted on escorting us, as it is not very safe outside lately," you sighed. Mrs Choi nodded her head with a concerned expression. "Your brother is absolutely right; times are not good." This was your moment to get some information. "Do you know why it is so dangerous lately?" You asked innocently. "It's because of the Silver Tongues," she sighed. "Who are they?" You pried. "That is not something a sweet little thing as you should worry about," she shook her head and lead you to a room. "You must be exhausted; I ran you a hot bath, go and relax," she urged. You felt a pang of disappointment that you couldn't acquire more information, but at least you had gotten a name. You gathered a clean pair of clothes and a washcloth and went inside. While you were taking a bath, Yoon and Jungkook came back to the tavern, while being slightly intoxicated.

"There you are! Mrs Choi said. "I ran a hot bath for you and your wife to freshen up. Go ahead and join her!"