Chapter 21

Later that afternoon, the shuttle bus rolled up to a regal scene.

Manicured gardens led to a sculptured fountain encircled by a gravel path. The focal point was more than worthy of the sprawling 17th century château.

Neela's friends and family spilled out of the bus, and once the arm stretches and yawns were out of the way, the feeling was universal:

Wow.

Mom took it all in and nodded in approval. "None of my friends have castles."

Neela stood behind her and sighed. "I'm not actually marrying into the castle though; we're just renting it for a heavily discounted rate."

Mom was immune to the logic. She breathed in the country air and smiled. "Harjit only has a time share in Orlando."

Neela shook her head and shuffled down the gravelly path, stopping in front of Dante who was admiring the fountain. In a rare move he removed his big dark sunglasses.

"Pretty grand, ain't it?" Neela said.

He nodded. "It sure is..." He became distracted by an attractive member of the château staff who was helping unload the bus.

Neela followed his gaze and smiled. "He's pretty cute; does this mean you're feeling better?"

He shrugged. "Not better exactly, just looking for something to do." He ran his fingers through his hair. "Fake it 'til you make it, right?"

"Yep!" Neela exclaimed. Fake it 'til you make it...

***

Later that day, as the sun sank behind the rolling hills and a perfect summer evening flowed in, the château staff set to work transforming the rear gardens for the main event, an engagement party for the ages that was scheduled to take place in twenty-four hours. One worker diligently arranged white chairs, while another hung flowers over a gazebo. A third focused her efforts on the universal hell of untangling a string of mini twinkle lights.

Neela watched them intently from a corner of the sprawling terrace, her flowered dress swaying in the breeze. "Wow..." she exclaimed. Luc approached her in a crisp shirt and the most perfectly creased khakis that had ever existed. He put his arm around her. "This is so extravagant," she remarked with a sense of wonder. "All this for an engagement party?"

He smiled. "It is not that abnormal in my world," he said. "And many of my friends and family will be here tomorrow, so why not make it special?"

She turned to him and smiled. "Thank you for arranging all of this," she said.

He squeezed her hand. "It was my pleasure." He noticed the serving staff coming out with trays of food. "Ah, it is time for the apéro."

Neela's friends and family emerged onto the terrace, their bellies rumbling for something delicious. There was a clear divide between who was excited by the oysters, charcuterie, cheese and paté, and who was decidedly not.

Tiff and Xavier made a beeline to the oysters and champagne, wasting no time in feeding each other like a couple of kids in love.

Neela came over and interrupted their oyster-slurping giggle fest.

"Really?" Neela said. "Tiff, you're the last person I would expect this from."

Tiff shrugged. "I mean what do you want from me? I'm already a half a bottle of champagne in."

Neela smiled and squeezed her shoulders. "I want exactly this for you." She really meant it too, but it was almost strange to be the wise one who'd seen it all, while her friends busied themselves with the beginnings of love. It was a strange feeling indeed, a feeling that could've easily bordered on disturbing, but she convinced herself that it was nice. She gave Xavier a nod. "Treat her well, my friend."