Chapter 22

The sky's pinkish streaks of dusk bid farewell to the revelers below, giving way to a perfect starry night in the countryside.

By now the party was well underway, a civilized affair with music in the background, chatter at the forefront, and waiters making circles throughout the crowd with trays of hors d'oeuvres and champagne.

On a private corner of the balcony, Neela and Chloe observed the scene while sipping the finest champagne.

"It is nice how everyone can mix and mingle as they wish," Chloe said.

Neela smiled. "It is, isn't it? I was worried there would be all these awkward and horrible boring speeches." She shuddered. "At the wedding, fine, because then it's like payback for all the boring weddings I've had to suffer through." Chloe laughed. "Seriously, friends and family must be punished for their boring-ass weddings. An eye for an eye, fuckin' PowerPoint slideshow highlight reel and all." She rolled her eyes. "But tonight..." she sighed, "tonight it's nice to just chill out and celebrate."

"But what about the chairs and that lovely gazebo?" Chloe said, pointing to the courtyard below. "It seems to indicate that a crowd will be gathering to listen to something important."

Neela shrugged. "Hmm...I don't know, maybe Luc flew in John Legend to serenade me?"

"You mean serenade the two of you?"

Neela eyes narrowed. "If John Legend sings, it will be for me and only me."

Chloe nodded. "Understood."

"It's gotta be some sort of cool surprise," Neela added. "Because I specifically asked Luc about the agenda of the party, and if there was anything I needed to prepare; he told me to just mingle and enjoy." She took another sip of her champagne. "And so, I shall." Her gaze followed the sound of Sonya's squealing voice growing louder. She spotted Luc's nephew chasing her through the courtyard. It was a touching sight.

Chloe studied her face. "So maybe it is not so complicated after all."

"Huh?" Neela said. A second later she noticed Chloe's face. Her eyes and mouth and somehow even her nose were collectively flooding over with the sort of expression that seemed to reflect on hundreds of years of French wisdom all at once. Or other some such intensity.

"In the end it is as simple as humans connecting with humans," Chloe stated, still incredibly high on the wisdom of the ages. "Cultures, customs...those are all just details that can be learned."

Neela sneered. "Ugh...you're so love."

Chloe gave her a nudge. "Then that makes two of us, right?"

Neela momentarily experienced what some might describe as a simultaneous mind, body, and spiritual glitch. She was suddenly like an iPhone that was in need of a version 15.1.1.2 update.

She recovered just in time to clink glasses and share a toast to true love.

True love. Yep. Uh-huh. Cool cool cool...

***

Later that night, in the sprawling garden courtyard, the guests now sat in the chairs that had been carefully arranged in front of the gazebo. All eyes were now fixed on the charming gazebo stage, anticipation high for whatever was to happen next.

Perhaps it was time for John Legend's performance?

Neela still held out hope for a personal serenade of "All of Me," but as she stood under the archway of twinkly lights with Luc standing by her side, she wasn't so sure if her fantasy would pan out—and was starting to get nervous for whatever the alternative might be.