Feelings are Hard

Hi, everyone! This is just an idea I had. It's a non-au, non-sexual age play.. should be pretty obvious, though. Enjoy!

"H?" Louis called from the living room after hearing the swing of the front door and a thump as Harry presumably dumped his luggage on the floor. He had just gotten off of a flight, and he felt like he didn't have an ounce of energy left in him. It didn't help that it was near two in the morning.

"Hi," Harry called back. "You didn't have to stay up for me."

Louis furrowed his eyebrows as he came closer to Harry. "I always stay up for you, babe. Thought you'd call when you got off your flight."

"S'two in the morning, Louis, I thought you'd be asleep," Harry retorted, toeing his hightop Vans off. One of them was a bit stubborn, and he ended up flinging it against the wall.

Louis sighed. "Well, I wasn't. I wanted to wait for you. Is everything okay?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Just peachy."

"Babe, did I do someth-"

"No!" Harry huffed. "I'm just tired, okay?Excuse me for being tired after weeks of touring."

Louis stared at Harry as he kicked his shoe aside and trudged down the hallway towards the bathroom. He shut himself inside and locked the door, and Louis sighed dejectedly before slumping down on the sofa next to Clifford. The dog must've sensed Harry's energy because he hadn't gone up to greet him like he usually would.

Clifford looked up at Louis, who began to play with his big floppy ears. "Harry's being a grouchy pants tonight, isn't he? But I'm still gonna make his arse a cuppa," he cooed. "Yes I am."

When Harry emerged from the bathroom, Louis was already done preparing his cuppa. He had made it just the way Harry liked it in the hopes that it would lift his spirits a little.

"Oh," Harry said when Louis offered the cuppa to him. "Thanks."

"Yeah," Louis offered him a small smile. "Be careful, it's really hot."

Harry nodded slightly, taking his cuppa into the living room and calling Clifford off of the sofa so that he could sit. Clifford trotted over to Louis, who gave him a sympathetic pat as he watched Harry drape a throw blanket over his legs.

Deciding to give Harry some space, Louis sat down at the kitchen counter and thought for a moment. This behavior was very unusual for Harry. He always called when he got off flights no matter how late, or early, it was, and he never took his anger out on Louis. Louis was his safe space, his home, but right now Harry was acting like he wanted nothing to do with him. It was obvious that he wouldn't be up for talking, but Louis had another strategy.

After preparing a caffeinated cuppa for himself, Louis padded into the living room and hesitantly sat down on the opposite end of the sofa to Harry. He glanced over at the man, but Harry didn't look at him. Louis sighed softly and took a sip of his cuppa before setting it on the coffee table and turning sideways to face his husband. Harry finally looked over at him.

"How was your cuppa?"

"Good," Harry murmured. "Thanks. Again."

Louis nodded. A moment of tension-filled silence passed before he softly asked, "H?"

Harry hummed in reply.

"Do you wanna, em, go down?"

Harry sighed, lightly tugging a string on his jumper. Nearly a minute passed before he responded. "I don't, like- I don't want to. But I feel like... I need to."