Chapter 8 - Holiday Feast

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in this story, they all belong tot he writers and creators of The Vampire Diaries.

It was Christmas Eve and Elena, Caroline, Bonnie and Rebekah had spent the morning locked in the kitchen. Rebekah's brothers had been told under no circumstances to come into the kitchen, if they needed sustenance they could go to the freezer in the basement.

Elijah stayed in the sitting room reading a book making and doing whatever a thousand year old original does. Klaus was busy painting, he only ever had inspiration to draw two things, his daughter and Caroline. Currently he was painting Caroline sat by the fireplace with the Christmas tree in the corner. It was turning out to be the best Christmas he'd ever had even with the mishaps.

Kol on the other hand was bored. And decided to go snooping around for his present while Bonnie was in the kitchen. He stole Had already been invited into her house so he thought he could sneak away unnoticed.

Back Downstairs...

Elena was peeling potatoes at an accelerated speed, vampirism really had its perk. Bonnie was preparing the huge Turkey and Ham they bought. Caroline was on vegetable duty, chopping and slicing, peeling. And finally Rebekah she was making the egg-nog and helping where she could.

They took this time to chat just between girls, Bonnie had burnt sage to give themselves some privacy.

"I was struggling to find Matt a present. I knew he didn't want anything extravagant or expensive, it made it hard to find anything. I've never had to think so hard on a gift." Rebekah started rambling as the other three continued working on the food.

"Yeah he likes the little things, things that have meaning. He's not a guy who can be bought, he's got too much pride. But if you get him anything that shows you really took his feelings into consideration...he'll be more than happy." Elena answered, although Rebekah nodded in agreement

"I did find it...The perfect present!" Rebekah was smiling so big, clearly pleased with herself for finally finding a present for Matt.

"Well...what is it?!" Bonnie asked intrigued, but the answer they got was a shake of her head and a tap on her nose. She was keeping it a secret.

"Urgh! No fair! You talk about how hard it was to find Matt's present and you can't even tell us what you come up with." Caroline didn't display any malice, it was more of a passionate joke. He was actually happy for her.

"Well what are you lot getting my brothers?" Rebekah casually asked the other three as a distraction.

"Oh no! You didn't share yours so neither will I" Elena said laughing.

"I still need to wrap mine, I hid it magically because I know Kol would be looking for it. That man is a thousand years old, but has the patience of a child. At least his present is fitting for his mental age." Bonnie spoke casually, not even hesitating to mention her boyfriends immaturity to her friends.

"Honestly Bonnie I don't know how you put up with my brother. My brothers and I have been on this earth for over a thousand years and can only stand to be near each other for a limited time. Kol an even smaller amount." Rebekah had looked up at the girls and noticed that her friends were trying to hold in their laughs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After slaving all day in the kitchen the Christmas dinner was finally ready. Rebekah had already set the dining room table, it was lucky that Klaus liked big extravagant things because the table was appropriate for occasions like this.

She had even poor a glass of blood wine in six of the glasses, the last two was just wine for the two humans dining with them. The turkey was in the middle of the table while mash potatoes and roast potatoes were at either end of the table. Dishes of vegetables were also available.

It looked beautifully prepared and even though they lacked the craving for human food, they still enjoyed the humanity it brought forth with such simple actions. Kol had returned hours before.

Once everyone was seated Elijah raised his glass. "I know it's Christmas tomorrow and normal traditions would have us dine together tomorrow, but I thought this would be more fitting. Christmas Day we can be a family and then be with our loved ones. So Merry Christmas and to many more, always and forever."

They took a sip of their drink and numerous voices echoing 'always and forever could be heard'. Elijah took Elena's hand and lifted it to his lips for a light kiss. She smiled adoringly at him as they started to eat heir dinner.

"Okay us girls cooked dinner tonight I think it's your turn tomorrow" Elena grinned widely at their astonished faces.

"Sorry darling, faces as handsome as mine, don't go near anything that can ruin it." Kol said while pointing to his face and giving a charming smile to prove his point.

"Kol, if you don't get in that kitchen tomorrow, you won't be getting your present." Bonnie quickly stated in a firm voice, she stared down Kol in a threatening manner, watching as Kol showed a brief sign of panic.

"Bon Bon...you wouldn't..." Kol tried to calm his girlfriend, but once he knew she was serious, he caved.

"Fine...but if anything happens to this face, I'm withholding..." Kol crossed his arms over his chest in triumph.

"I think you will give in before she will brother" Klaus joked.

Everyone looked at Kol's reaction and found him looking at Bonnie, she was staring right back at him. "Ewwww, not at the table! Stop with the eye sex!" Caroline announced hastily.

The table erupted in laughter and Bonnie blushed at her friends outburst. It really did seem like the Mikaelson's had changed. A Christmas with the Originals wasn't so bad, they even seemed relaxed.