Chapter 10 - Family is a Gift Pt 1

Merry Christmas Everyone, have a wonderful time with your family!

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in this story, they all belong to the writers and creators of The Vampire Diaries.

Everyone was still in their pyjamas, they had left the cleaning until later because Rebekah and Caroline were too excited to wait anymore. It was a lot to ask them not to open the presents as soon as the sun came up.

They all found their places in the sitting room. Kol was on the floor next to the fireplace with Bonnie sitting on his lap. Matt took his place on the end of a sofa, Rebekah placed herself next to the tree on the floor. Caroline was also with Rebekah in her excited stated while Klaus sat in the armchair. Elena and Elijah took the space next to Matt, Elena leaning into Elijah while he stroked her arm.

Bonnie used her magic to light the fire in the room, it didn't take long for the room to warm up. Everyone watched as Caroline and Rebekah dished out the presents to everyone. After a while they had all ripped their way through to the small presents from friends and family. Now all that was left was the big significant present from the person that mattered.

Rebekah was smiling happily but it soon turned into a frown as Matt stood up with his phone in hand. He waited until he was far enough away from vampire hearing and answered the call. It turned out he needed to leave to get Rebekah's present. In all the chaos he had forgotten to bring it. The phone call was Jeremy notifying him that he could pick it up.

He soon returned to the sitting room, he really didn't want to see Rebekah's heartbroken face, but she nodded anyway and said she would see him soon. Hoping that he would be quicker if someone went with him, Caroline and Bonnie offered to go.

The ones who stayed decided to put on another film while they waited. They didn't want to open the important presents without everyone, so they tried to distract Rebekah by watching one of her favourites, Cinderella.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time later...

Tires of a car could be heard on the driveway, and then several footsteps. Caroline was the first in the houses, followed by Bonnie and then Matt. They all retreated back to the sitting room, only now Matt had a big box in his hands. Due to him being the reason for the delay, they all decided Rebekah be the first to open her present.

"Sorry Bekah, but hopefully your present will make up for it." Matt handed the wrapped up box with a huge red bow on the top to the original. She gave the box a curious look and looked as though she was ready to shake it when four voices all shouted "No".

Bonnie, Caroline and Elena all giggled and Matt said "Just don't shake it". Rebekah nodded and finally started to rip through the paper. What she didn't notice was the holes placed all over the paper.

After minutes of fighting with the wrapping paper Rebekah lifted the lid of the box, she gasped at the sight. She noticed in the comer of her eye that Bonnie was mumbling something, brought back to the present she laughed as it barked cheerfully.

"Awwwww you're so cute! How did you keep it so quiet" Rebekah asked as she held the puppy in her hands. She gently stroked its head and then lifted it up to give a kiss.

"Er...Bonnie, she did some witchy stuff to make it sleep and also hide the scent and sound of the heartbeat." Matt explained as he watched Rebekah continue to adore the new addition.

"It's a girl, three weeks old and she's currently nameless" he gave a quick list of things she needed to know.

"I'll call her...Lucy" Rebekah announced happily. She shifted to Matt and brought him into a tight embraced with the puppy in between them.