Chapter Six

Hazel drove home, her thoughts were on Elijah. Why was he in Mystic Falls? Was he following her? Was this nothing to do with her and just her imagination getting on top of her. She took a deep breath and concentrated on the road. The thoughts kept invading her mind she took a deep breath and stopped the car. She lay her head on the steering wheel and counted her breaths.

Suddenly, there was a knock on her window, she jumped and looked up. Elena was standing there, her eyes so round and doe-like read the situation.

'Are you okay? Do you need to talk?' Elena asked.

'I can't stop thinking, I feel so paranoid with everything that happened. I just...'

Elena got in the car and looked across at her, she was deep in thought.

'I think you should follow me; I'll take you to Stefan and Damon. Obviously, we need to talk this out.'

'I saw Elijah this morning, I think he's coming for me,' Hazel said.

'Look, just follow me, everything will be okay. You are safe.'

Elena jumped out and drove in front of Hazel she slowed down as Hazel moved forward, they took a narrow lane to the Boarding house. They both park up and got out of their respective cars. Elena opens the front door and invites Hazel into the living room. The room is expansive the reds and woods give it an old-timey look. She sat on the sofa and Elena sat down opposite her.

'Stefan,' Elena called.

He was downstairs and sat next to her within a second, Hazel could still feel the breeze.

'Hazel, I didn't see you there... Does she know what I am?' Stefan asked.

Hazel looked at Stefan, what did that mean, was he a monster too? He did move faster than humanly possible, she started to consider if Stefan was the same as Elijah. What if he,'

'Calm down Hazel,' Stefan said while looking into her eyes. 'What do you remember?'

'Everything, I remember everything, I just don't feel any emotion when I think about it. I remember I tried to stop the man from kidnapping Elena, being shoved in the boot, I tried to fight. I hit my head hard. I was unconscious for most of it, I saw Elijah smack Trevor's head off. Waking up alone, then he forced me to drink his blood. I walked all day down the road, I didn't know what direction to take. I remember falling asleep beneath a tree and waking up in the darkness. The thirst and hunger, I ached badly. I was so alone...' Hazel stopped she had said everything so calmly. 'Why aren't I scared?'

'Damon did a rubbish job of compelling her, she was meant to forget. Stefan, shouldn't you try?' Elena asked.

Stefan shook his head, 'we'll need Damon, we can't cross compel on the same memories.'

'If I forget what happens, what if Elijah finds me and I don't recognise him. I saw him by the grill earlier. I won't be safe.'

'Elijah, is an honest man, I made a deal with him everyone I live is under his protection, I'm adding your name to the list. It's the least I could do after leaving you there. I wish I had been thinking straight,' Elena said. 'Look, here is his number, if you are in trouble call him, I promise he won't harm you.'

Hazel looked into her eyes she seemed genuine. 'Have you forgotten he murdered three no four people in front of you?'

'Look-' Elena started.

'He's a vampire, so am I and so is Damon. We are trying to stop a curse from being broken. Elijah can be trusted he has offered protection and he has proven his loyalty,' Stefan said.

Hazel nodded. She heard the front door open and Damon walks in.

'What's she doing here?' Damon asked.

'We need you to undo the compulsion, she knows the truth.' Elena said.

Damon walked up to Hazel and watched as Stefan nodded encouragingly.

'You will remember everything, every memory, every pain, every emotion,' Damon said.

It all flooded back, the different emotions exploded inside her as she compartmentalized each memory. She felt the paranoia wane, she trusted them.

'Thank you, knowing everything it makes it more real. I feel like I can breathe. I still don't trust him fully, though he did help me,' Hazel said.

Stefan tilted his head slowly 'What do you mean?'

'I was walking along this road I walked for so long he stopped and gave me a lift to the closest store. He looked after me, he gave me his jacket. Look I still don't fully trust him, but now I can see it all clearly, I know he can be good, I should go. School tomorrow and all.' Hazel said she stood up walked out of the house and drove home.

Her head felt so much clearer and lighter, she was going to avoid any contact with Elijah that much was obvious. She had people on her team, with Elena, Damon and Stefan. She made it home and decided to pop into the grill to check her rota for next week.

Hazel walked through the door, she went past the patrons and into the back room. She slid her finger down the list of employees until she saw Hazel Pepper. She had three shifts this week. That was perfect she was behind on her homework and she was desperate to catch up and use it as a distraction.

She walked out of the backroom while adding her shifts into the phone's calendar. She bumped into someone and dropped her phone, she looked up and saw Elijah. He had gently held her up to stop her from falling. She stared at him and the dream came back to her. She felt the tingle go up her spine, she took a step back. Elijah let go and picked her phone up off the floor and handed it to her.

'My sincerest apologies,' Elijah said, his eyes never left hers.

She didn't know how to react she just stood there watching him, his eyes burned into hers. She took another step back and made to walk towards the door.

'Please, I mean you know harm. You are under my protection as per Elena's request,' Elijah said.

She turned back and nodded before making to leave once again.

'Hazel.'

'Thank you for your protection,' Hazel said and walked out of the grill.