One.

Thursday, 11 June

The universe would always balance itself out, Naomi McKay was aware of this

The universe would always balance itself out, Naomi McKay was aware of this. She was aware that if she had faith and believed everything happens for a reason, it would make the tough times of her life easier to mentally handle. If she did good, the universe would work to give it back to her in some other form. However, that didn't mean that when something dreadful did happen it wouldn't affect her, and she wouldn't feel hopeless. Because she did. Very much so.

Most of her life she had lived in a constant state of harmony. She was neither displeased nor satisfied with the life she was leading because it kept her out of trouble; it kept her safe. Her entire life she had lived in peace in Winchester, a fairly prissy town in the middle of Hampshire county in England. Her father owned a business of sorts, Naomi had never gotten the details of it or how he'd gotten where he was, but all she knew was he inherited it from his father and it was expected to be handed down generation after generation in the McKay family. However, Naomi was an only child and neither her mum nor her dad thought she'd be fit to run the business when the time came.

"Nothing personal, darling," her mother had said when it was brought up during a dinner when Naomi was still in sixth form. "You just don't have the brains for it."

"What your mother means to say," Naomi's father went on. "You're so intelligent in your own way, running the business won't make you happy."

They always called it that. The business. They never told her what it was about or explained when she asked questions about it. Not that she expected her dad to be a drug lord, but it would've been nice to be let in on something. It would've been nice to be given the opportunity to feel of enough importance to someone to know special things.

Noami looked out the window of the train, the Cornish coast stretching out as far as the eye could see, the sun not yet hanging high enough on the sky to make it dreadful to walk outside in her black oversized smock dress. The book in her lap was still open, though she'd read the same page over and over and over again, not being able to concentrate for long enough to remember what happened at the top of the piece of paper. Everything was fuzzy and she had too much to think about; too much to consider.

The last 24 hours had been the worst of her life. Yesterday had turned everything upside down and she hated it. However, thinking the universe would balance itself out and work in her favour, she was also aware that the reason her life needed help to be smoothed out by higher powers in the first place, was because it was in imbalance. Something was off. Something had thrown it off. But she forced herself to stay hopeful, knowing that if she lost that little flicker of hope in what seemed like an endless night, it'd be next to impossible to find her way back to peacefulness.

She glanced down at the book in her lap and was about to start reading again, not liking it when she had to put the book away in the middle of a chapter. She wasn't given the opportunity as the overhead speakers sounded their soft alarm, and next second, a woman was speaking.