Eight.

Tuesday, 4 August

There was a voice

There was a voice. It sounded far away, as if Naomi's head was underwater and someone was talking above the surface, and she was swimming frantically to reach it. Oh, how she wanted to be close to that voice. How she wanted to wrap it around herself like a warm blanket, how it could build walls around her and keep her safe from oncoming storms. The world would be right if she could be around that voice and listen to it for eternity.

Slowly but surely, Naomi realised she was awake. It took her a few moments before she managed to place herself and see where she was. Bits and pieces from the previous night came back to her, making her bite her bottom lip as the giddiest grin spread out across her face. She squealed into her pillow, before looking properly around the now fully lit room, the pale morning sun that stood shining on the other side of the lighthouse made slight shadows appear around the room, but Naomi was wide awake now.

The voice she had heard was not a dream, it was Harry's. She could hear him talking downstairs, the door into the lightkeeper bedroom open just a crack, his voice carrying up the one flight of stairs separating the station from the bedroom. She sat up in bed, looking around the room to realise that Harry's jumper was still on the floor along with her clothes, making her feel very hot all of a sudden. There was just no way last night had happened. That her and Harry had opened up to one another like that and, only minutes later, had sex. In the lighthouse.

Naomi got out of bed, reaching for Harry's red knitted jumper to and put it on so she wasn't only wearing her black knickers. Standing up, she tiptoed out of the room and down the stairs. However, though he was busy working, Harry must've heard her coming. He took a quick look over his shoulders at her before focusing back on writing something down in his notebook, listening to someone else talk over the speakers.

"Good morning, this is Lizard..."

Harry wrote down whatever was being spoken, clearly already having done his bit of reporting as she remembered him reporting fairly early on the last time she'd been with him. She walked over to a window, looking out at the cottage that had been unoccupied tonight, wondering if it had been weird for Harry to sleep in that room with her rather than his actual bed down there. The creak of his chair sounded as he leaned against its back, listening to the static across the speakers as two lighthouse keepers seemed to be conversing. Turning around, Naomi saw Harry staring ahead, as if listening intently to whatever was being said. She took this moment to walk over to him, gently laying a hand on his shoulder as not to take him completely off guard next.

She lifted her right leg, placing it on the other side of him and placing herself on his thighs. At first it seemed like it had taken him off guard, but as she settled into him, he placed his hands on her waist, bringing her closer to him. Instinctively, she placed her hands on either side of his neck, thumb resting under the tip of his jaw, making it impossible for him to look away from her. Not that he wanted to. He was smiling up at her, a small beam that had his deep dimples showing, a peaceful sort of look on his face that Naomi didn't think she'd ever seen before. He reached upward, trying to steal a small peck from her, but she only bit her bottom lip, hovering a safe distance away from him. He let out a single breathy chuckle, mouth open in anticipation, were she to kiss him.