Ten.

Sunday, 9 August

"It's a beautiful day out," Naomi's mother said as she looked out over Porthminster Beach, leaning her head back a little and letting a salty breeze rustle up her grey hair

"It's a beautiful day out," Naomi's mother said as she looked out over Porthminster Beach, leaning her head back a little and letting a salty breeze rustle up her grey hair. "Shame we're spending it in the shade."

Naomi glanced up at the roof overhead that offered rescue in the sweltering summer sun. Though she loved the sun as well and wanted to spend as much time in it as possible before summer ended soon, she knew that this chat would have her sweating enough without them sitting out of the shade the Porthminster Beach Café provided. Naomi looked down at her iced lemon tea, inhaling slowly as to calm herself. All day yesterday, Naomi had been too anxious to do anything but stay in her room and think about today. While in the lighthouse the day before yesterday, Naomi had sent her mother a text message asking if the two of them could talk without her father or Dominic being present. She knew her mother would've told them by now where she was and what she was doing, but she appreciated the fact that she had listened to Naomi's request and not brought them.

"Didn't get to go to a proper beach this summer," Mrs McKay went on, eyes on the sea and where the waves crashed softly against shore. "The family could've gone someplace nice, would've been good for us."

Naomi didn't say anything.

"Think we all just need a break. Go somewhere to forget about everything and reflect on our lives."

Naomi still kept her mouth shut, knowing that she had to choose her words carefully so that her mother would fully understand.

"Do you remember when we went to that beach in Florida and you saw that sting ray?" Mrs McKay chuckled a little to herself.

"And I screamed for help 'cause it scared me."

Mrs McKay laughed some more at the memory, studying the beach some more. "That was truly something else. Not something you'd normally do."

Naomi didn't know what to say to that.

"Don't you miss those days? When everything was simple?" Mrs McKay seemed to be completely lost in her own head and memories, thinking back to a time she had clearly glorified.

"I don't..." Naomi trailed off, furrowing her brows. "I don't think everything was that simple back then, or now, for that matter."

"What do you mean?" Mrs McKay asked. "Don't you think the family would benefit from taking some time off and just relax like we did back then?"

"It's..." Naomi glanced at her iced tea. "I don't know."

"You don't know if it would've been a good idea for the family to reconnect again?"

"I don't know."

"How can you not? We need to talk about everything that's happened these past few months. And especially what happened two days ago, because your father and I agree, Naomi, that was very irresponsible of you, throwing yourself out of a moving vehicle like that."