Souls are not to keep

^             ^
|prompt|

-1,212- words

~death, little angest,~

Falling in love was dangerous. You could quite literally lose your life or take someone’s life with love. That's how I lost my mother, the sweet little thing didn't know how to stop loving. When the man she thought loved her as much as she loved him left, her heart broke. I remember the day as if it was yesterday. I was seven at the time; when the only things I had to worry about were spiders. 

I had just walked through the door, placing my backpack on the bench next to the apartment door, when I almost tripped over James' suitcase that laid in front of my feet. The yelling could be heard from my mother's bedroom, I assumed that it was just gonna be one of those fights and they would make up after they calmed down. But no. James stomped his way around the corner heading for his suitcase. His eyes met mine and he smiled sadly.

"Sorry Junebug," he apologized as he came closer, picking up his suitcase and giving me a brief hug. He took my hands into his and placed something cold into them, he then closed my hand into a fist. "I'll be away for a while."

I moved to the side as he walked out the door. Stunned, I opened my palm, his house key layed in my hand. Transfixed and confused I didn't understand what it meant at the time. I looked up and watched as my mother stood in the living room opening that led up to the front door. Her phone fell from her hands and she clenched her chest as tears raced down her face and she fell to her knees, her mouth clenched in pain. The fear in her eyes still haunts me to this day.

"Mama," my voice was soft at the time. I ran to her as the rest of her body fell to the floor. Her eyes were closed, my small hands shaking her shoulder violently. "Mama!"

Tears rushed down my face as I picked up the phone and dialed 911.

Everything else from that day was a blur. I was picked up by my grandparents and have been living with them for the past 10 years. My grandmother had to explain to me about what happens when you fall in love. 

"Your mother should have told you sooner," we sat in the living room of my old apartment, as my uncles packed up my things. 

"Told me what, Ma?" I asked scooting closer to where she sat on the dark blue couch.

"Falling in love comes at a high price, my dear," her voice strained from age, "Once you fall in love, a part of your soul is given to the person you love, and when someone falls for you, a piece of their soul is given to you. There are only two people that are immortal in this world, one that does not fall in love, and one that makes everyone fall in love with them."

*~*

Music plays from my earbuds as I gaze out the huge windows of my favorite cafe. The place was vacant due to the late night weather, except for a few strangers here and there. Life has been uneventful since my mother’s death, although I still live with my grandparents. Through middle school and highschool i never got close to anyone. getting close ment falling in love, meaning I might die. I grab my mug of still hot tea from off the table and scan the room as I take a long sip.

My eyes landed on a man by the cash register,  whose eyes were on mine, he looked shocked as if I was something other than human. I look away from him and take another sip of my tea. my nerves on end. I pull my phone out of my pocket and scroll through social media, distracting myself  enough to forget about the creepy man. 

That is until he was standing right next to my booth, making me jump so hard I release my grasp on my phone. the object falling to the ground, in front of his feet. Before I have the time to even grab it, he bends down swiftly and grabs it, gently setting it into my open palm. his hands were soft and pale. I glanced down at my screen, thankful it wasnt cracked. Then I looked up at the stranger in front of me, taking in his appearance for the first time. black dress pants and a dark green button up. the usual cafe uniform. his hair cut close to his head on the sides, letting it grow out on top. I smirk to myself, I'd mistaken him as a real life Levi. 

“I'm sorry I didn't me to startle you,” he apologized, his face turning a light shade of pink.

“its ok, just warn me next time” I insist “how may i help you” 

“Well you see I'm new, and it's none of my business but you've been here all day. “ he stated, his eyes avoiding mine “I just wanted to know if you were waiting for someone?”

Is this a form of flirting? I ask myself as I try to find something to say that doesn't sound like I was a lonely weirdo. Grace usually tells the new employees that I practically live here. 

“this is where i usually get most of my work done” i answer his question “or i would be writing”

“oh! i love reading, sometimes i write but i can't put a book down” his face lights up, finding a topic he likes and sits in the chair in front of me “do you read”

not wanting to be rude and tell him to get the hell up and leave. I try to be as polite as possible.

“I do, I find passion in reading. '' I struck one of my golden fake smiles, tucking a strand of light pink hair behind my ear. “Have you read any of Rachel Kaine's books?”

As the conversation went on, I felt more accused of him sitting in front of me. when on subject turned boring he would change it into something more interesting than the last. no one ever had some many things in common with me. I had finally made a friend. The sun had started to peek as we finished our last topic, giving each other writing advice. I sip the last of my tea and pack up my papers that scatter the table top into my laptop bag.

“Well it was nice speaking to you sir” I say as I stand, draping my bag over my head and setting it onto my shoulder. “I never got your name?”

“levi, levi jackson” he grabbed a napkin and a pen from his pocket, quickly writing something down and handing it to me. “and you are?” 

“June, june hill” he gets up and leaves, a feeling spreads in my chest, i feel as if i had just gained energy. more energy than i've ever had before. I could go for a run, I could do something for once that doesn't involve sitting down.

I wonder if this is the feeling of someone else's soul.