a wolfs love (pt 1)

words -(1,518)

River

I just got to the favorite part of my favorite book. Where James has to spend the night at Jordan's, and their family doesn't even notice that they're dating, but I have suspicion on Jordan's father. I feel like he has an idea that his son is gay. That's the main reason why I love this book so much. 

My thoughts were stopped when the train came to a halt. jerking me to the side, almost throwing me out of my seat. I looked up from my book, glancing at the  Samaritan's that came and sat on the crusty, dirty seats. Anyone could have noticed how long it has been since someone actually cleaned them. 

As the train was almost ready to departure a girl ran through the doors as it was closing, she stood there awkwardly pushing her short black hair back into style. 

As the train moved forward she scanned her eyes to find a seat. Her eyes came to the seat next to me and then to my eyes. I smiled and she came walking towards me. 

"May I sit here please?" She asked. picking at her fingernails

"You may," I acknowledged. 

    She then took off her bag and sat next to me. I looked back at my book not to read it but to take my eyes off of her. her hair had fainted blue streaks in them and she wore a black Lincoln Park sweatshirt that was baggy, but not too baggy, black skinny jeans with ripped holes on the thigh, black high tops that went up to her shins that had light blue shoe laces that faded into red and purple. And, oh, her jaw line. Her bag was wooden brown and had pins all over it. I blushed at the thought of it. Just the right body too, small but not too small, same height as me. 

You'd think I would be tall, but I'm the small one in the litter, or what's left of it. Only my brother and I remain, my mother too, of course, though my father will retire from being Alpha of our pack. That would mean that Lilly would take my place, an unforgiving rat she is. I was supposed to be the next alpha but she had other plans. Plans that I couldn't bring myself to forgive. My sister would still be alive if it wasn't for her evil plans. My thoughts were interrupted by the girl sitting next to me.

"Is that book 'Distant Love'?" She asks gazing over my shoulder.

"Um, yes." I answer, a light hue coming upon my cheeks. "Have you read it?"

"Me? Yes! Of course it's my favorite book of all time," She replies with a smirk. her hands came up scrunched into balls of fists

"Oh, me too!" I chuckle my face growing hot.

"My name's Jill," she says, releasing her hands reaching to shake my hand.

"I'm River," I take her hand, shaking it lightly.

"So, what's your favorite part of the book?" Jill asks. keeping the conversation going

"When they first meet. I think it's the most adorable thing," I answer. "well that, and when they have a sleepover.

 We both giggle. 

We laugh and talk as the train stops and goes, dropping and picking people up.  Somehow talking about Distant Love opened up an all out debate about other books and the way the authors use different tactics. Then the subject changed to Emo rock songs which became another debate war. Minutes must have flown by cause by the time I looked up to see what stop we were at. I see that we passed mine by one stop which would mean I would have to run home before the moon hits the horizon. If people see me change, it would expose the whole pack! I have to leave now!

I stand up in a panic and pull out a sharpie. "Would you like my number?" I ask looking into her blue eyes 

"Um, yes," She answers blushing, she takes the sharpie from my hand and writes her number in the palm of my hand. Leaving a heart at the end. I then pick up my own bag 

"Thank you, it was nice talking to you, I'm going now '' I shouted as I sprint out the door,  running through the train station. When I run out of the front doors I instantly look up in the sky the sun is two hours away from setting the right amount of time.

I start with a jog, the sun behind me and my shadow in front of me. Leaving footprints in the dirt road, woods surround the wooden building. People pass, women in dresses and men in work outfits. Eaton is a small village in Washington, not as modern as the rest of the state. People here don't like change, my  pack loves it. Horses gallop by, vibrating the earth bed.

 I look at my watch,19:12 I then decide to start sprinting. I have twenty eight minutes till sunset. More panic twists my stomach. As I hit a curve in the road I hit the woods jumping over fallen trees and dogging low branches, my eyes adjusting to the darkness.

Then my muscles start tensing so I stop. I'm not out of breath but I can feel the start of it. I know what the next stage is so I start by taking off my backpack. then I'm striping off my clothes, my muscles hurting as I put them in my bag then the change begins. Starting from my feet and springing up my body to my head fur covering my whole body.

 I stand on all fours happy to have my body back. My eyes adjust and I see normal again, my hearing and smell gaining strength. I grab my backpack with my teeth then sprinting into the woods dogging and jumping rocks and low branches, apoching a cliff, that feels like home.  I jump over it, over the running river down below. the breeze flowing through my hair. stretching my wolf form, lightly placing my paws on the bright green grass, I don't stop my stride but  I slow my pace, prancing the rest of the way home.

I come to a very small clearing on the right is a cave and on the left Is a ledge that shows more forest and hills. My pack roams around getting ready for the nightly hunt. Mother picks up the new pups by the nap of their necks and carries them inside the cave Lilly helps. My dad is looking over the ledge. One of the last times he'll be doing that. When my scent hits him he turns around and prances towards me. Him and I have the same silver fur with hints of black and brown. My tail has a bob of white on the end. My mother is pure white so is my brother but he has a black tint on his front right paw.  My dad greets me with the traditional hug, his head rubbing against my neck. With a whisper dad calls for me in my Conscience I answer with a wine. When we are in our wolf form we can talk by connecting our thoughts, but if you leave the pack those privileges are taken. 

'where have you been?' my father's voice low and raspy

'I missed my stop and had to take a detour' I answered in my mind.

'don't be late again'- he says stern and commanding.

'Yes alpha' I say, keeping my gaze to the dirt.

'You are on puppy duty tonight with your brother' I look at him surprised and angry.

I nod and walk into the cave disappointed and angry. James is in there laying the puppy's on the ground trying to calm them down. I lay down in the corner watching the amusing action that appears in front of me.

Time passes and everyone, but James and I leave for the hunt, howling and barking fading away as they move further into the bush. My thoughts wander thinking of Jill, and her Snow White skin, raven hair with blue in them. Her eyes most of all. Blazing blue. 

'I have news today, and who's Jill you're thinking about?' my brother interrupts my thoughts, still messing with the pups

'get the hell out of my head!' I growl , showing my teeth to him.

his own growl came in response. 'don't be petty, because you didn't go on the hunt' he turned to me, showing his teeth profusely.

I got up from my spot and slowly trotted to the entrance of the cave. 'i'm going to follow them' i say glancing back at my brother. 

'she's making her move tonight' his expression turning sour. 'i trust you' he turns away from me putting his attention back to the pumps. i don't say anything else.

instead follow their scent, taking the path they took slowly. i didn't want to give anyone a chance to think i was following them. not now at least.