my own

~death. maybe profanity~
-455 words-

Trick or treaters roamed the darkened streets of a small town engulfed in dense woods. Some children ran across the streets and knocked on doors while the older sibling stood on sidewalks waiting as they talked with their friends. There was one teen who stood in front of a two story house. Only the porch light broke through the night as if a portal for lost spirits. The grass was unkempt and died long ago as if the place was abandoned. 

“Jamie get on with it!”  Ema trembled in her ghost costume, Jamie swallowed then pulled the hood of her panda onesie over faded blue hair.

“She’s not gonna do it, Ema.”  A boy stood beside Ema, his skeleton costume covered in mud from a previous dare. Jamie grimaced at the thought of going up to the porch, she hoped that the kid would just leave her alone. 

“I got this Evan how about you just go and make out with Ema and get it over with.” There was movement from behind and a quiet grunt which gave them the signal that Ema must have elbowed him in the ribs. 

With that she walked up the creaky stairs of the porch and knocked on the door. There was a moment of silence then footsteps could be heard from the other side of the door. Jamie looked back at the two love birds behind her and could see the worrisome on Ema’s face while Evan smirked knowing damn well she would chicken out. Then his face turned to shock when the door swung open, Jamie swooped around and stuck the nearly full pillowcase out.

 And asking the innocent words. “Trick or treat?”

The old man had a long gray beard and no hair on the top of his head. His right eye was replaced with three claws like scars and a sinister smile was painted on his face. He pulled out a plastic carved bowel and his deep voice sounded through the old building.

 “trick”with that creepy smile still on his face he pulled out a black beretta, aiming it at Jamie's chest. She didn't even have time to process the situation before the trigger was pulled, the bullet piercing through the onesie and her heart. Screams ripped through the night air and the kids scattered. Jamie dropped onto her knees, choking on her own blood; they looked up at the old man and choked out a word of plea before falling onto the now bloody porch. 

Then the old man picked up the blood covered child and threw them over his shoulder. He stalked off the porch and around the corner of the house, heading towards the back yard.  

            The End...