4: Rotation

The last Hunter turned to ash as Shownu's dagger went straight into its chest. As he straightened himself out, ignoring Jooheon's fake coughs, he gazed into the street, hoping that more Hunters would come into the alley.

Fed up of being ignored, Jooheon reached out and gripped his Brothers forearm, "Do you even care that I'm dying over here?"

"Las time I checked, being an asshole doesn't cause death," Shownu quipped, wiping his dagger clean and sliding it back into its holster while Jooehon faked a laugh this time, "Fucks sake, what?"

"I'll get straight to the point-"

"Thank God, you're picking up a good habit for once-"

"-You're going to get yourself killed,"

Shownu turned and glared at his companion, "I'm a better fighter than you,"

"Yeah, no, you're not," Jooehon waved his hand, "You're so focused on finding a fight that you didn't even realise that another Hunter came into the alley,"

Shownu rolled his eyes, "Like you've never-"

"He had a gun," Jooheon said sharply, "And if I didn't see him, it would have been lights out for you. Your mate and your young would have to live without you,"

The taller brother felt his lips crank up and his fangs fully descended, "Don't bring Dia into this,"

"Well that's what it's about," Jooheon sighed, running his fingers through his dark hair, "I know you're scared and stressed and," He held up a hand, "I know better than anyone that a fight is a good way to let off steam. But, you die because you make a stupid mistake?" He shook his head, "That kid's gunna have no Dad. We'd take care of Dia of course, but without you? It's just not the same,"

Jooheon was right, of course. Shownu was so stressed and nervous about the pregnancy that he could barely keep focus.

She was already starting to show, the subtle swell of her stomach appearing even when she was wearing clothes. He found it attractive - but he would never not find her attractive. Even if she had one eyebrow and no teeth, she would still be a beauty queen to him.

But death wasn't beautiful. And that was what he was afraid of. He would rather live a childless life with her than risk losing her. However, it was a little too late for that.

"Me and the other Brothers have been talking," Jooheon said, breaking into Shownu's thoughts.

"You're still talking?" He muttered, turning and heading away from him, deeper into the alley so he could dematerialise home. He had had enough for one night. Besides, there was only an hour or so of darkness left before the sun rose.

"You're off rotation for the rest of the week," Jooheon snapped, "Three nights off. That's it. But you need some time to process everything. Besides, Hyungwon said that Dia has an appointment tomorrow,"

"Nosy fucker," Shownu cursed. He threw his hands up in the air, "Fine. I'll have tomorrow off rotation, but I'm back after," He narrowed his eyes at Jooheon, cutting off any argument, "I'm still the one in charge, asshole, so don't even try it,"

Without waiting for a reply, Shownu dematerialised, rushing home as a stream of molecules and rematerialising on the lawn.

He took the three steps to the front door in one bound and opened up, glad when the smell of food hit him. He didn't realise he was that hungry.

The hunger, however, was pushed out of his mind when he realised that it was his mate who had done the cooking. Obviously.

"Dia?" Shownu headed straight to the kitchen, dropping his leather jacker full of weapons onto the table with a loud clunk.

"Please put that away," His mate said, turning and lifting her face for a kiss.

Shownu brushed his lips against hers but didn't step back. Instead, he wrapped his arms around her gently, "Why are you cooking?" He asked, trying not to sound like a bully. He was failing.

Dia rolled her eyes, "I'm pregnant, not an invalid," She replied, "I can still do most things,"

"Don't push it," He warned, "Pregnancy is a dangerous time for females-"

"Dinners ready," Dia smacked him on the ass with her hand, "Go put your stuff away and wash up. You stink of Hunter,"

As the sickly sweet smell of his prey's blood wafted up from his clothes, Shownu stepped back quickly with a curse. He checked to make sure his mate had none of the filth on her, before giving her another quick kiss and grabbing his jacket, "Start without me," He commanded, "I don't want you hungry,"

"Don't tell me what to do," Dia countered, serving up some food, "Hurry up,"

Shownu couldn't help but smile. His mate was strong-willed and stubborn which just increased his love for her, if that was even possible.

"Eat," He said again as he left the room.

"Bite me," She called back as he headed upstairs.

"Oh, I will, my love," He promised with a grin, his fangs descending, "As soon as I can get you in our bed,"

—-

AN: ok the chapter sucks, but what can I do. I'm exhausted and sore lol