Eight

"It is a risk to love.
What if it doesn't work out?
Ah, but what if it does?"
-Peter McWilliams

"This one could work?" Athene looked up from the piles of clothing strewn about her bedroom floor. Enya, who had graciously donated her fashion expertise, held a black velvet dress against her body. It was a tight-fitting number that Rita had given her for Christmas several years ago and Athene hadn't seen it since she threw it in the back of her closet. "Though it is a bit too-"

"You don't have to say it," Athene settled herself onto her bed, "I thought the same thing when Rita gave it to me for Christmas."

"I remember that." The snort that left Enya's mouth was far from ladylike, though neither of the girls cared. Their minds were both on that interesting holiday. It had been the girls' first Christmas that they hadn't spent at Hogwarts, so they had spent it together in the shambles of Athene's bookstore. "Your face was so red and, remember, you thought it was lingerie."

"Stop bringing up such embarrassing memories," Athene picked up the nearest article of clothing and tossed it at Enya. "Charlie is coming to pick me up in two hours, and I have no idea what to wear!"

"Oh!" Enya jumped into the air, "What about that one we got for that stupid Valentine's Day dance?"

The dress in question had been quite the impulse buy. As it had been their last Valentine's Day dance, Athene had gone all out on her attire and purchased the most beautiful gown. The night was supposed to be perfect, but her supposed date never showed, and the girls spent the night stuffing their faces with sweets and having their own party in the dorms. Since that day, the dress had remained untouched in the back of her closet.

"Here it is!" Enya pulled the golden gown from the plastic protector that the saleswomen had insisted they buy. Its satin fabric was just as vibrant as it had been when Athene had tried it on oh so long ago. The waist was tight and accented with a long piece of silk that came together in a bow on the right side of the waist. Athene loved the dress in the store, and she still loved it now. "Well, put it on."

Enya practically shoved the dress over Athene's head, pulling a few strands of curly hair free in the process, and shouted with joy when she saw the dress. "It's absolutely perfect!" Athene couldn't help but agree. The dress fell just above her ankles, and it accentuated her waist in the most flattering way. It was utterly gorgeous. "Let's not get too excited," Enya schooled her face into a serious expression, "we still have to deal with that mess of curls you call hair."

During her life, Athene had never really felt like she was extraordinarily beautiful. She was quite plain - other than the wild curls that sometimes made an appearance - and she wasn't the skinniest of girls in her class. Athene often thought that her eyes were too dull and her face too child-like. But looking in the mirror, Athene felt beautiful. Enya had managed to tame her hair into an elegant updo and enhanced her features with makeup. It was the most beautiful transformation that Athene had ever been apparat of.

There were three distinct knocks at Athene's apartment door and they sent the two girls into silence. "He's here," Enya stood from her seated position on the bed and smiled at Athene. "Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," Athene pushed a stray piece of hair back into place and gave one last look at her reflection. The stairway to the ground level had never seemed so daunting before now, but as Athene stood on the landing, her heart couldn't seem to calm itself. Deep Breathes. Each step seemed as though she was taking a step closer to her doom. Perhaps this was why she had refrained from going out before. Nevertheless, she reached the bottom of the stairs in one piece.