Fifteen

"Stab the body and it heals,
but injure the heart and the wounds last a lifetime."
- Mineko Iwasaki

Life went back to normal after the second task. There were no more crazy outings filled with dragons, no more adventures that started with Rita's insane demands, and no more Charlie. Things were back to how they were before that fateful November day and Athene absolutely hated it. She missed the thrill of not knowing what came next or how she would spend her days.

These thoughts were spurred by a particularly dull day in Epeolatry. There had been no customers to take her mind away from her boredom and she couldn't seem to find a book that interested her. Not even the books on dragons could fill the void in her chest. That is how she found herself lying face down on the ground behind the counter when the little bell on the front door notified her of her first customer of the day.

Athene barely had enough energy to pick herself up and dust off her dress and she didn't have enough energy to deal with the fuming Enya in front of her. Enya was usually a very calm person; unless, of course, someone insulted her or her friends, looked at her in the wrong direction, or something of another inflammatory nature. Truth be told, when Enya was angry, it was probably someone else's fault.

"You'll love this one," Enya stomped up to the rustic counter and slammed a mound of papers down, "You're aunt has really outdone herself this time." The paper looked relatively innocent just sitting on the counter, but the words that were printed in big, bold letters were anything but.

"Miller Family Among Several Well Known Families Who are Suspected of Lies."

"Enya," Athene re-read the headline and a bit of the article itself, "she's pulling this out of her arse and you know it."

Enya looked at the moving pictures of her parents' court date from when she was a child. The article was vague and held no more information than it had when the rumors first came out. "There's got to be something that we can do about this."

The girls released a collective sigh. They had tried to do something the first time that such an article had graced the pages of the Daily Prophet, and nothing had come of it other than Rita's anger. The Ministry had practically laughed in their faces and sent them on their way. Now, with the Ministry in such denial about the horrors of You-Know-Who's followers coming out of hiding during the summer, there was no way that they would even acknowledge what Rita was writing in the newspaper.

"We both know that there's nothing that we can do," Athene walked around the counter and wrapped her arms around Enya, "I'm so sorry that Rita writes such horrible things about your family." Enya was silent and they stood there for several minutes. "It's nearly closing time,"Athene dropped her arms, "let's go out to eat, and then we can watch another muggle show." The girls broke apart, and Enya nodded. Going out always helped her focus on something else.

Athene grabbed her purse and pulled Enya out of Epeolatry. She quickly locked her doors, though she knew that her simple lock wouldn't hold up against an alohamora. They turned towards the crowded streets of Diagon Alley and set off towards one of the more low-key restaurants in the area. The Leaky Cauldron was one of the best places to get comfort food and it was a staple in any witch's diet. Their food didn't do much for the body, but it did wonders for the heart.

They found a table towards the front and waited for the bar tender to take their order. When the waiter arrived, he brought along two butter beers that both girls took eagerly. The sweet substance was heaven sent and reminded them both of simpler times. The waiter looked on expectantly and motioned for them to give their orders. It wasn't hard for them to pick their entree - they got the same things every time that they came here. Enya ordered the fish and chips while Athene ordered the bangers and mash.