Twenty-One

"Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?"
- Bob Dylan

Rita's words festered in Athene's mind for hours on end. She spent the rest of her day pondering the words that had been thrown so carelessly into the open air. The truth of her words stung, and, for a second, she believed them. Athene had convinced herself that what Rita had suggested was true. Athene had never truly had a problem with lying, unless she included her aunt.

Her aunt had never had trouble lying to her throughout her life. She had lied about her parents when she was too little to understand; she had lied about her true feelings; and she had lied about caring for Athene. Rita was full of lies. She published her lies in the Daily Prophet and ensured that her readers believed every printed word that she wrote.

By the time that Athene shut up her windows and pulled her cotton duvet to her chin, she had worked herself into even more confusion. Things began to come together while forcing others to fall apart. It would drive her mad before the sun rose in the sky the next morning.

Athene woke to warm sunlight caressing her face and an obscenely loud banging at her front door. The knocking didn't end, even when Athene covered her head with her pillow, so she shoved her body out of bed. She didn't bother to change out of her night gown for whomever was at the door sounded quite urgent. She stumbled through her apartment - barely avoiding stubbing her toe on a chair in her living room on the way - and opened the door.

"Charlie," Athene breathed and offered a sleepy smile, "What are you doing here?"

Charlie stared unashamedly at the beautiful woman in the doorway. Her hair was tied at the base of her neck, but stray pieces of hair flew in the slight breeze drifting through Diagon Alley. Though her eyes were clouded with sleep, they were deep and understanding and altogether stunning. Athene was beautiful even when she wasn't trying. "You do know that it is nearly 4 in the afternoon, don't you?"

Immediately, the sleep that once clouded her eyes was gone and she was running back up the stairs. Charlie chuckled and followed behind her diligently. He closed and locked the door, mindful of the charms that she put on her front door. Athene was frantically throwing clothing around in her bedroom and rushing from one side to the other.

"Is everything okay?" Charlie wrapped his arms around Athene and stared into her eyes. With the sleepy euphoria gone, Charlie could see the bags under her eyes. He could see that something was bugging her, even if she didn't want him to.

"Rita came by yesterday," Athene rested her head on his chest and sighed, "She said some things that have been bouncing about in my head."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Charlie prodded her side with his fingers. "I'm here."

"I need you to lie to me, Charlie," Athene pulled her head away from him and stared him in the eyes. Charlie would have laughed had it not been for the seriousness buried in Athene's eyes. "I need you to lie to me."

Charlie stared at her and swallowed the lump that was growing in his throat. Something wasn't right; he could feel it in his bones. But despite the uncertainty that he felt, he did as she asked. "Athene," he looked her in the eyes with complete seriousness, "I absolutely love chocolate ice cream."

Athene narrowed her eyes and laughed, "Thank you." With Charlie's successful lie, a weight was lifted from her soul and she could push Rita's preposterous claims from her mind. "Have you heard what the final task is?"

Charlie turned away when Athene began to change. "No, but I've heard that it's going to be grand."

"I just hope that it's nothing like the second task," Athene smiled as she pulled on a burgundy shirt over her head, "That was absolutely boring."

"I believe that Ron would say otherwise." Charlie briefly recalled Ron's letter that had been sent right after the second task. He had rambled on and on about a kiss from the female champion and how it had been the most wonderful thing he had ever witnessed. "But I suppose an hour of sitting around and watching the water ripple wouldn't be entertaining."

"Understatement of the century." Athene hopped around on one foot as she tried to push her leg into her jeans. "When do we need to go?"

"Any time now."

"Is that your subtle way of telling me to hurry up?" Athene pulled on Charlie's arm and tugged him into the living room, "Because I'm ready now." They stood in front of the fireplace for several moments. "Are you sure you don't want to just apparate?"

Athene sucked her bottom lip between her teeth while she watched Charlie's face go red. She would never grow tired of antagonizing him over his inability to apparate. "Using the floo network will be much faster, besides, Dumbledore is expecting us this way." Charlie grabbed a handful of powder in his fist, pulled Athene into the fireplace, and they were gone.

Author's Note:
So, Charlie doesn't like chocolate ice cream.

Question of the Chapter
Cats or dogs?