Eighteen

"She was one of the rare ones,
so effortlessly herself,
and the world loved her for it."
- Atticus

Rita never took no as an answer. Not from the people she interviewed, not from her boss, and certainly not from her family. She had been this way since Athene had come into her care, and it had often led to some very interesting situations. When Athene was 10-years-old, Rita had deemed it necessary to enter Athene into the Miss Wizarding World pageant. Athene had detested the idea and had made that clear to Rita. But when the pageant came, Athene was dressed in a pretty ball gown and pranced across the stage like the little angel Rita wanted her to be. So when Rita came to pick her up the next morning, Athene went along with her in silence. Arguing would do her no good.

The Weasley household was still a cluttered mess when Athene and Rita knocked on the front door. The garden seemed to be in disarray, and Athene swore she saw a gnome crawling through the weeds. When the door opened, they were greeted by a frazzled looking Mrs. Weasley, who ushered them into the living room. There was still a sense of home that lingered in the furniture, pictures, and trinkets, but the house was lacking all of the chatter that had been there during Christmas.

"Athene, dear," Mrs. Weasley offered a tight smile to Athene and a nervous glance at Rita, "Can I get you anything to drink?"

Athene gave her a genuine smile, "Thank you, Mrs. Weasley, but I think that I'm alright."

Mrs. Weasley nodded her head and opened her mouth to say something but thought better of it. Athene wondered if Charlie had told his mother what he had done to their relationship. She briefly wondered if Charlie was here, but she knew deep down that he had gone back to Romania - to the beautiful woman that was there.

"Molly, is it?" Rita's voice was sickly sweet, and the false niceties were obvious, "I would like to speak with your husband, Arnold."

"Arthur," Mrs. Weasley stressed his name, "will be down in a moment." She turned to Athene, "How have you been?"

By her tone, Athene could tell that she knew. Maybe not the whole truth, but at least a part of it. Athene dropped her head so that she could avoid Rita's vaguely interested stare. "I've been doing alright. The store is booming; maybe you could come down sometime?" A lump formed in her throat, and her eyes began to burn. She willed the tears not to fall, but they didn't listen.

"Oh, dear," Mrs. Weasley rushed forward when she saw Athene's tears, "I'm so sorry, but you have to know that he truly cares for you." Mrs. Weasley said nothing of the sort after that, and they all waited for Mr. Weasley in silence. The mistress of the house returned to her seat and observed her guests. A visit from Rita was never good, even if one didn't know what it was about.

"Ms. Skeeter," Arthur Weasley walked into the room dressed in his work attire, "Athene. What do we owe the pleasure?"

Rita offered another fake smile, "I'm just here to ask you some questions about an incident that occurred last September." Athene's jaw nearly dropped; what was Rita doing discussing something that had happened last year? "Do you recall the event that I am talking about?"

Rita's enchanted quill floated into the air with a pad of paper beside it, eagerly waiting for Mr. Weasley's response. "I believe that you would have to be more specific. That was a very turbulent time for the Ministry and my family." Mr. Weasley was stiff, and he looked extremely uncomfortable.

"Of course," Athene could see the evil glint in her eyes, "I am referring to the incident outside of Mad Eye Moody's home, do you remember that?"

Arthur nodded, but the conflict was evident on his face, "Yes, I believe that the Ministry put out a public statement when it occurred."