21- A Face to Call Home

I followed JJ and John B into the house. I stood between the two of them and turned to face my brother. "Don't you dare touch him," I yelled.

JJ gently grabbed my waist and moved me aside. "Paisley, please just go in the other room," he said softly. I stood there, looking at him. "Paisley, please," JJ begged.

Tears started running down my face as I walked into my room and closed the door. I laid down on the bed with my face buried in my pillow and started sobbing. JJ and John B's voices carried through the walls of my bedroom.

"Girlfriend? JJ, what the fuck? You lied to me. I asked you if you were dating my sister and you told me no," John B yelled.

"We were going to tell you, but we wanted to wait because we knew that you were going to throw a bitch fit."

"You can't be with my sister, JJ. We've been over this a million times. You've treated plenty of girls like shit, and my sister isn't going to be another one."

"Your sister is different. She's always been different and you know that," JJ said, no longer yelling.

"Wow JJ, why don't I believe you?" John B asked sarcastically. "You always use girls and then just toss them to the side."

"That's because they weren't Paisley. I tried and tried to move on from her, but do you have any idea how fucking hard that is? She's the best person that I know, John B. Are you really going to try and take her away from me?"

"JJ, why the hell do you even want to date my sister? You literally have nothing in common. Besides, I thought she hated guys like you who spend all their time drinking and smoking."

"I know this sounds stupid, but spending the last nine months together has changed something between us. It's been hard on Paisley not knowing if you were okay. Shit, it's been hard on me too. We've been there for each other."

"That's a load of bullshit. I know that you're just trying to get with my sister, just like you try to get with literally every other girl. Just stay the fuck away from her, okay?"

"John B, I'm not just trying to get with Paisley. I love her. I'm in love with your sister. I've tried so hard for so long to get rid of these feelings, but it's impossible. Paisley's the only person that's ever shown that she cares about me. My dad doesn't give a shit if I'm dead or alive. He doesn't care if I come home at night or if I have food to eat. But Paisley does. She's shown me more love in these past nine months than anyone else has in my entire fucking life. She's been the only face I can call home," JJ's voice kept getting louder and louder.

"You can't see my sister anymore, JJ. I can't trust you with her. Go home. Get the fuck out of my house."

I heard the front door slam shut.

I got up and ran after JJ. "JJ wait," I yelled.

He turned around and I could tell that he had been crying. He wiped his eyes.

I took him in my arms, and we just stood there in silence for a few minutes.

"JJ, I don't want you to go back to your dad's house. It's not safe," I said, looking him in the eyes.

"What else am I supposed to do, Pais?" JJ asked.

"Is there any way that you can sneak in without him knowing?"

"I can always go through my window if I'm quiet. He never checks in my room to see if I'm there."

"JJ, I'll come get you tonight, okay? I don't want you to be alone," I told him.

"Come get me?" JJ asked, confused.

"I'm going to sneak out after John B and Sarah go to sleep. I'll text or call you later, okay?" I looked at JJ with concern in my eyes.

"Okay," JJ responded, kissing my forehead.

"Be safe," I said seriously, turning to walk back to the house.

John B was sitting on the couch waiting for me.

"Paisley, what is wrong with you?" John  B asked. "I'm honestly disappointed that you would date a guy like JJ. Don't you have standards?"

"That's your 'best friend' you're talking about," I snapped.

"Yeah, he may be my best friend, but that doesn't mean that he's not an absolute loser. He's a douchebag. He doesn't know how to treat a girl, and his only hobbies are drinking and smoking weed."

"Do you even know him at all?" I asked.

"Yes I do, Paisley. A hell of a lot better than you do."

"John B, you're an asshole. You don't give a shit about JJ."

"I-" John B started, but I cut him off.

"If you actually cared about him, you would've taken the time to get to know him. If you knew him at all, you would know that JJ is actually a really sensitive and caring person. He's funny, and he would do anything to protect someone that he cares about, including you. You just refuse to look at the good things about him because you want to believe that there is a reason I shouldn't date him. This is just about you wanting to control me. You can't stand the fact that I started dating someone without your approval. Like it's any of your fucking business," I glared at him.

I paused for a second and John B started talking. I cut him off again. "I'm done talking to you about this." I started walking toward my room.

"Paisley, I'm just trying to protect you."

"From what?" I screamed.

"From getting hurt. JJ's been nothing but an asshole to every single girl that he's ever been with."

"People can change, John B. You of all people should know that. Look at who you're dating."

"That's different and you know it," John B said quietly.

"It's not different at all," I said, slamming my bedroom door shut.