34- Restitution

The cave was chilly the next morning after all the rain last night. I snuggled closer to JJ's chest and he stirred slightly, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me even closer.

"Good morning, Pais," JJ muttered, kissing the top of my head.

"I'm so cold," I complained.

"I'm sorry, bug. I think I might've left one of my sweatshirts in the hold of the boat. Do you want me to go look for it?"

"Yes, please," I replied, kissing his cheek.

JJ came back a few minutes later wearing a pair of shorts and carrying a sweatshirt. He tossed the sweatshirt to me and said, "We practically have a whole damn closet down there. Most of it is either yours or mine." JJ chuckled.

I laughed and pulled his sweatshirt over my head. JJ laid down next to me and pulled me into his arms.

"I love you so much, Paisley Jo," he said, kissing me.

"I love you too, JJ," I responded.

He grinned at me and buried his face in my shoulder.

A few minutes later JJ lifted his head and said, "Pais, I have to go to court tomorrow."

"What for?" I asked, confused.

"To pay off the restitution," he responded. "I got a call yesterday afternoon."

"Okay, do you want me to come with you?" I asked while lightly rubbing circles on his cheek with my thumb.

"Would you please?" JJ asked desperately.

"Of course," I said, kissing him lightly on the lips.

"Thanks, Pais. I have to go talk to my dad and tell him. He has to come to court with me since I'm a minor," JJ said tensely.

"You're not going by yourself to his house. I'm coming with you whether you like it or not," I insisted.

"Paisley, we've been over this, like, a million times. I don't want you around my dad. He's an asshole and his behavior is unpredictable. I can't risk you getting hurt." JJ clenched his jaw, looking somewhere just beyond me.

"JJ, will your dad be less likely to hit you if I'm there?" I questioned, placing my hand on his chest.

He was quiet for a minute before mumbling, "Yes."

"So it's settled. I'm coming with you," I said with finality.

JJ tried to argue with me, but I cut him off. "JJ, you're not changing my mind. Just save your breath."

"You're so fucking stubborn, you know that, right?" JJ said, shaking his head and smiling slightly.

"Yes, I do," I said, kissing him lightly.

"Are you hungry?" JJ asked.

"Is that even a question? I'm always hungry," I joked.

"Let's go home and find something to eat," JJ suggested, standing up.

We picked up all of our still-wet formal wear from last night and walked to the boat. I shook out the clothes and attempted to fold them up.

When we got back to the island, JJ docked the Pogue and we headed back to the house.

Once we were standing on the doorstep, JJ pulled me into his arms and gave me a kiss before opening the door.

The house appeared to be empty. "I don't think anyone is here," I whispered to JJ.