Chapter One

"What happened that morning, 20th of this month when you came to this school?" Mrs Victoria, the school's principal asked me.

My mind drifted to that morning, could I tell them that my aunt was a drug addict and also a drunkard.

"Ma'am, I can't remember". I answered avoiding her face.
"Toni, this is a case that has to do with murder, you have to tell me the truth, let me see if there will be anyway to help you". She said.

"But I didn't kill her? Ma'am, you got to believe me, even though I never liked Lucy, I couldn't have killed her". I replied.

"Your classmates are saying you're responsible and before you know it, this is Nigeria and the police will investigate this case, once that happens, you might be charged to court for murder". She said and tears tickled in my eyes.

"Ma'am, I swear, I didn't kill Lucy". I replied with tears in my eyes.
"That's why I need you to tell me what happened that morning".

Flashback

THE LAST THING I WANTED was to see the parlor scattered and that was exactly how I met it.

Definitely, Aunt Lillian was back home after a week, the whole house reeked of alcohol. I picked up three bottles and dumped them in the trashcan.

Suddenly, the phone rang, the caller ID showed it was my mom, she was calling from France so I answered the call with excitement.

"Salut Maman" (Hello mother)
"Ohh Mom Cherie Toni". (Ohh my dear Toni). She said and I smiled.

I was used to speaking French in France even though I was a Nigerian and my mom never wanted me to stop, she wanted me to speak French with her anything she called.

"Comment vont la france et papa?". (How's France and dad?. I asked and I noticed discomfort in her voice, her tone seemed to change. "What's wrong Mom?" I asked.

"J'ai déxouvert que ton père me trompait. (I found out that your dad was cheating on me). She answered and my aunt called me. She was ready to take me to my new school.

"Mama, je te rappelle, jo dois y aller maintenant. (Mom, I'll call you back, I have to go now).

I dropped the phone on the table and quickly wore my school shoes. I looked at myself in the mirror and I looked great.

"Yes aunt". I ran out of the house with my school bag.
"It's time to go to your new school, I left the house key at our secret place, I might not be at home when you arrive". She said and I nodded.

"So what am I going to eat when I get back?". I asked her and she let out a slight chuckle.

"Nigeria is different from France, when you're hungry, make food for yourself cause I'm not your slave". She answered harshly.

"Okay Aunt". I quickly replied with fear.
"And one more thing, can you lower your voice when speaking French with your mother, this is my house". She added and I nodded.

"Aunt, I miss my parents in France, I'm tired of Nigeria, everyone here is a psycho". I said entering the car. I placed my bag near the car window covered my face with a newspaper.

She hissed and uttered a word. "Agbaya".

"What's that? It sounds like uhh a traditional name". I said.
"It means old fool and it's a Yoruba word". She corrected and I frowned.
"So was it me you were reffering as old?" I asked as she started the car's engine and began driving.

"Aunt". I almost screamed. "Please slow down, you're speeding way too much, you'll kill us both". I said and she laughed.
"You've seem to forget that this is Nigeria and on a bright Monday morning, everyone will be busy with their daily activities and the people on the road will be much, I have to get you to school on time". She replied and I nodded.

"So what's the name of the school you registered me in?". I asked.
"Academy for prostitutes". She answered and I chuckled.

"Une femme si impudique". (Such a shameless woman). I muttered.
"What's that?". She asked.
"Its nothing actually, it meant you're wonderful in French". I lied.

She pulled to a stop in front of an aesthetic school. The beautiful inscription on the wall made me smile. "Wexford College". I grinned and smiled at her.

"Thanks Aunt, I really love the school already". I giggled excitedly.
"Remember, don't make friends, I want nobody coming to my house all the time all in the name of friendship". She said and handed me my bag, she entered into her car and drove off.

I held my bag and walked into the school compound. All eyes were on me, I was naturally beautiful, maybe you could call me a brown skin girl.

"Those shoes are dope". A male student commended as he walked past me.
"Thanks". I replied.

"Is this your hair?" A girl asked as she touched it and tried to drag it from the scalp.
"Ouch, you don't touch my hair, it hurts". I said with a frown and displeasure.

"Who are you anyway?" She asked and I kept mute. "Anyway, if you haven't heard of me, I'm Lucy Isidore". She added and pushed me to the floor.

Her friends laughed and left with her leaving me embarrassed.

End of Flashback.

"So that's how you and the deceased met?". Mrs Victoria asked.
"Yes ma'am". I answered.

"But a witness said nothing like that happened, infact not just a witness, the whole class is saying you're lying, you were the one who pushed Lucy". She said and my heart raced.

"Ma'am, they're trying to frame me, Lucy was stabbed to death in the school and i wasn't responsible for that".

"I have every reason not to believe you, when your classmates came into the class, they found you carrying Lucy's dead body and crying with blood all over the floor that it even stained ur school uniform".

"Ma'am, I went into the class and found her like that, as I tried to help her, that was when my classmates walked in". I replied.

"I understand that one might do something out of anger or maybe mistake, just say the truth, let me know how I'll protect you". She said and I raised an eyebrow in shock.

"Ma'am, can we adjourn this meeting, I feel nauseated talking about a dead person that's buried already". I replied and stood up.

"Toni, sit down". She ordered and I looked at her.
"I'm not going to sit down there and watch you lie on me based on some unverified accusations from my evil classmates". I answered her back. For the first time in my life, I felt brave.

"Well, I'm your principal and I'm ordering you to sit down"..

"I'm the victim here and believe me when I tell you, I won't sit". I replied and walked out of her office. As I came out, all the students looked at me, I walked past them to my class.

Don't forget to vote and comment❤️
How was this chapter ❤️🤝