Chapter Four

I woke up the next morning, I quickly said a short prayer and went to the bathroom, I hurriedly brushed my teeth and took a quick bath.

I came out of the bathroom and picked a towel from the other side of my bed, I used it to clean my body as I applied my body lotion.

I looked at myself in the mirror and struggled to smile but I just couldn't, today was indeed going to be a big day, I wore my uniform and went to the parlor, the house was as quiet as a graveyard.

I picked up my bag from the chair and came out of the house, it was obvious my aunt didn't sleep there, she'd probably seen a rich customer and decided to stay at his place.

I took a bike immediately I came out of the gate. The bike man dropped me in front of my school and I paid him, he frowned and drove off.
I walked into the school compound and went straight to my class, no one was around yet, couldn't this be a good time to look for evidence? I asked myself in a confused state.

No! The school must have hidden secret compound since Lucy's death. Even though, Lucy made my life like hell, I never wanted her to die. I could never have killed her.

Mariam walked in and looked at me. "The murderer is around before the teachers". She said and laughed.
"Mariam, I don't think I have any problem with you, so please mind your business". I replied.

"Mind my business? Are you scared because I'm saying the truth, we have more evidence and we're not going to show them yet". She said.

More Evidence? I asked myself confused, what evidence could they have to use against me..
"Well, I didn't do anything, I didn't kill Lucy and if you have a problem with me, to hell with you". I replied.

"Just watch your back, you might be the next". Mariam said and walked out of the class.
I brought out my government textbook and tried to see if I would be able to even read anything, I couldn't.

Few minutes later, the class became filled with students and everyone including the teachers were around. Charles came in and I smiled to him. He avoided me and I became shocked.

He didn't even look at me for one second, tears tickled in my eyes but I managed to control them.

Mrs Victoria walked inside holding a briefcase. "Miss Toni Jade, it's time, follow me". She said and left immediately, I walked out of the class and we both walked to the Management Team office.

I pushed the door open and she entered and took a seat. I closed the door and stared blankly at all of them. They were more than 6, each looking at me like a criminal.

"Is everything ready?" Mrs Victoria asked her secretary.
"Yes ma'am". Her secretary replied.
"Okay, let me go through the rules". She said and looked at me. "No use of foul words, No use of an external language, all words must be spoken in English, no abusive words are to be used on the student". She added.

"So shall we proceed?" Mr Douglas asked. He had always wanted to be in this position for a long time, he had always wanted me to suffer because I found out his crimes. He wanted to create a scene that will make Mrs Victoria lose her job so he can become the next principal but I ruined his plans.

"Yes, you can". Mrs Victoria granted him permission and he smirked.

"Miss Toni Jade". He began and paused staring at me. "What made you leave France to come to Nigeria, I believe you attended a school there". He continued and my heart raced.

I knew he'd ask that question to prove to them that I had murdered Lucy.

"With all due respect, Mr Douglas, I can't answer your question, you are not expected to ask me this question, you're deviating from the main topic". I answered.
"Will you shut up?" Mrs Victoria ordered in her loud voice.
"I'm sorry ma'am".

"Sorry for yourself, I think you're forgetting something, here isn't France or any other country that you can reply your seniors rudely or reply them, this is Nigeria and you're a Nigerian".

"Thank you Mrs Victoria". He appreciated her and turned to look at me. "Now answer my question".

"My parents sent me back to Nigeria because I mistakenly injured my best friend". I answered.
"Mistakenly?" He asked and chuckled. "Can you explain what happened, then we'll be the ones to judge if the incident happened by a mistake or not".

"I was playing with her in my room, then all of a sudden, she made mention of my dad having an affair with another woman, I told her it was a lie but she kept telling me it was true, then we fought and I mistakenly pushed her, she hit her head on the door and fainted". I said and paused as I stared at all of them.
"Continue, Miss Toni".

"She was rushed to the hospital and I admitted to pushing her, her mom had my parents pay the damages and I was grounded for a week before they finally made the decision to send me back to Nigeria".

"From what you just said, I don't see anything like mistake, you intentionally pushed her". He said and I frowned.
I didn't reply, I kept quiet.

"Miss Toni Jade, tell us about your aunt that you have been living with?". Mrs Victoria asked.
"She's a prostitute". I replied almost immediately, I realized that they probably brought me to embarrass me.

"That's another reason why you are guilty of murder". Mr Douglas said smiling.
"Mr Douglas, please leave this place". Mrs Victoria ordered and he looked shocked. He looked at me and stood up.

"Before I go, can I ask my last question?" He asked.
"Permission granted". Mrs Victoria answered.

"Did you tell Lucy before her demise that you would kill her?". He asked and I began shivering. My face turned pale immediately.

"Answer the question Toni, did you say that and most especially in front of your classmates?" He asked again with a smile.

"Yes, I did". I replied.

To be continued
Don't forget to vote and comment on this chapter.