Chapter 11

They spared me some pity.

The judge gave me 24 hours to do what I needed to do. Say goodbye, pray to God, whatever, just get it done in the next day. The cops would come and get me, and I would be taken to whatever hell hole they had prepared for me. 

I could have ran away. I could have...but if I did they would have caught me at the border, or wherever I ended up. It was impossible, and I wouldn't have done it anyways. 

I had accepted my fate. 

My parents hugged me and cried, apologizing over and over. 

They had done the best they could.

I believed them.

It wasn't like I was on death row or anything, but it felt like I was. I thought about those stories about ex-cons who got out of jail after decades of not seeing the outside world and being marveled by the inventions of cell phones and computers. It scared me that I might become someone like that. It shouldn't because I wasn't even allowed to apply for parole, but it did.

My nails were gnawed down to the beds and naturally, I couldn't sleep a wink. Why would I even want to sleep? These were my last hours in the real world. I didn't want to spend them sleeping.

There would be plenty of time for that in jail.

As the clock hit 1 in the morning, I was still awake as an owl. I couldn't get my mind off John.

I had to see him.

Silent as a stone, I slipped on a hoodie and a pair of sweat pants. With my hair in a messy bun and sandals on my feet I slipped out the window and ninjad my way onto the street.

It was a clear night, and suddenly my whole body was drowning in regret. 

How had I never noticed the stars before? These twinkling lights billions upon billions of miles away from this small insignificant plant. Their light travelling on and on through kilometres of empty space, just so that a mere glimmer of their bright incandescent shine might travel into the corneas of a young teenager, looking up and wondering why...why me? 

I kept looking up as I made my way over to John's apartment. It truly was incredible. 

I knocked, and John answered quicker than I anticipated. He looked happy, then sad. I assume it had to do with the realization that I would be going away soon, and that was partly confirmed a second later when he wrapped his arms around me, guiding me inside his apartment.

I never wanted to leave his arms. 

He made me a cup of coffee and we sat at the island together in his kitchen. 

"They've convicted me with attempted murder, and they're not letting me apply for parole," I said blankly, staring off into my cup. The words didn't even sound real anymore. "The cops are coming back to get me tomorrow at 2 in the afternoon. I snuck out of the house to say goodbye." I explained. It took John a minute to reply and when he did, I could tell he was trying hard not to cry.

"I'm really sorry. Y/N you're one of the best people I've ever met and- and I'm sorry they did that to you. I wish the worst thing you had to worry about right now was quicksand."

I couldn't say anything. My mind was blank. Everything felt empty.

"I should head home." I said eventually. 

"Do you want me to drive you? It wouldn't be much trouble." 

"No, it's okay. I'll walk." I mumbled, getting up and walking to the door. John grabbed my arm, turning me around.