VIVA LAS VEGAS-1/54

Not I but the fans made Elvis come back on stage the next day. The crowd that came to the concert was huge. The news about the death of the boy made the people curious and they wanted to show us their empathy by coming to the show. While the Colonel was more than happy about the money this evening would bring, Elvis still wasn't himself. He seemingly was struggling with this tragedy and the worst thing was that he suddenly began doubting himself.

„I don't know if I can do this. I cannot go on stage and pretend everything is fine.", nervously he rubbed his hands against each other. He barely couldn't sit still while I was with him in his dressing room before the show. I was sitting on the couch in the corner. I had been feeling sick all day.

„Come! Sit down!", I told him.

But Elvis was too nervous to sit down. Like a tiger in a cage he kept on walking from one edge of the room to the other.

„This will be a concert in memory of Thomas. Nobody wants you to forget or even conceal what has happened. Perhaps you should talk about it on stage. You know that your fans have your back, no matter what."

Elvis frowned: „Probably your right. Johnny told me that Thomas' favorite song was „Blue Suede Shoes". I think we will start the show with this one.", he constantly was checking his hair in the mirror. I got up from the couch because I felt a little ache in my belly. I could feel the twins already. I promised myself to tell Elvis that night that he was going to be a dad. I was sure that the news would cheer him up. But I planned to wait to the end of the show.

I went over to him and put my arms around his hips. He turned around and kissed me so tenderly like he always used to do. I recalled the first time when I felt his soft lips upon mine. I suddenly had been caught in this dream and had no clue who just had kissed me but I instantly knew that this had been the most wonderful kiss ever. Never had I believed that I was going to kiss this beautiful man many times and even have twins with him.

„This dream is my destiny.", I thought and I couldn't believe, that just the day before I wanted to escape to Las Vegas so badly. I smiled.

„What is so funny?", Elvis asked. His voice sounded deeper and softer than ever before.

„Nothing.", I answered and gave him a big kiss on his cheek.

„Will you do me a favor, Idy?"

„You know that I would do everything for you.", the way he looked at me with these blue eyes, took my breath away.

„When I go on stage, will you wait in the back, where I can see you? This is very hard for me and I think it might calm me down to know that you are close."

„But I won't go on stage!", I stated.

Elvis smirked. The first smirk that I had seen on his face for quite a long time.

"I would never make you do this.", he assured.

Somebody knocked at the door: „Elvis! It's time!"

„Okay, I'm ready Johnny!", Elvis answered, then he took my hand.

Backstage, I tried to motivate him: „You look amazing!"

„Please stay right here.", he pushed me into a corner next to the stage, „That's where I can see you."

„I will not move.", I promised.

Then we already heard the melody of the first song. It was time to go on stage. Elvis was welcomed by a cheering crowd. When the spotlight hit him, he gazed at me. I threw him a little kiss. Then he grabbed the microphone. But instead of singing the first song, he obviously wanted to talk to the audience first:

"Hey folks. Thank you very much for being here tonight."

Again the audience applauded and cheered. The fans chanted his name and hailed the king. But when Elvis suddenly turned very quiet and serious, the noise stopped immediately.

„I know that you probably read it in the newspaper.", I noticed that Elvis' hands were shaking, „A young man had suddenly been pulled out of his life. His name was Thomas and as far as I know, he very much liked this song. Thomas, this one is for you!", then he looked up just like he knew that Thomas was watching from above.

Then I heard the first tunes of „Blue Suede Shoes". Elvis intoned: „Well, it's one for the money..."

Suddenly he stopped and lowered his head. I stopped breathing. The band also interrupted just to start all over again. But this time, Elvis didn't begin to sing. He gazed at me and I saw how desperate his was. Tears ran down his cheeks. The sorrow overwhelmed him. I hesitated. Should I go on stage and take him into my arms? What was I supposed to do? It was terrible to see him like that. Just when I was about to run to him, somebody grabbed me by my arm. I turned around:

"Johnny? You again?", I whispered angrily.

„Idy, I'm so sorry about yesterday. But believe me, this time it really won't be a good idea to go up there. Please listen to me!"

Then I also noticed it. Quiet at first but then getting louder and louder. The fans had began to sing the song until the whole audience was singing:

„Well, it's one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, now go cat go!"

Elvis looked up and seemed to be pretty surprised. I saw how he took a deep breath, grabbed the microphone and out of the blue his voice was back again, better and brighter than before: „But don't you, step on my blue suede shoes!"

The fans cheered and finally there was this deeply missed, typical smile back on Elvis' face. The audience literally carried him through the song and with every verse he sang the more he seemed to feel free and the sadness disappeared. He performed the following songs with confidence and pride. He was back. Johnny and I took a deep breath of relief. I already had forgiven Johnny. We were laying in each other arms, smiling and cheering and watching Elvis getting back to being himself again.

Suddenly I felt a horrible pain in my belly. I felt dizzy. My legs were getting weak and I sank down on the floor.

„My god, Idy! What is wrong? Talk to me!", Johnny looked at me. From his face I could tell that he panicked. I was close to faint. This pain was unbearable. I was laying on the floor, praying that the pain would go away but it was getting stronger and stronger. I grabbed Johnny's hand:

"Oh god, Johnny! The twins!"

-to be continued-