xv. after breakfast

➩ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕚𝕥 𝕙𝕦𝕣𝕥𝕤 𝕞𝕖 𝕥𝕠𝕠 𝕓𝕪 𝕜𝕒𝕣𝕖𝕟 𝕕𝕒𝕝𝕥𝕠𝕟

"I DAMN YOU. I damn you to hell!" Buford called after Doc with his gun raised.

Marty grabbed the pie  plate from the refreshments table as fast as he could to toss like a  frisbee over towards Tannen. Hitting him on his hand perfectly, the  gunshot missed Doc and instead shot off his hat from his head. He looked  over to Marty wide-eyed to have him now step over to him. "You!" Buford spoke, not at all pleased with seeing him here too.

"Hey lighten up, jerk!" Marty told him to raise a finger towards him threateningly.

Buford only looked  around to the other boys around him confused to try and understand what  the insult meant as Amanda rolled her eyes over their stupidity. "Mighty  strong words, runt!" He made as a stale comeback. "You man enough to  back 'em up with more than just a pie plate?"

He turned back over to Amanda to have her eye him worried. Knowing he didn't want anybody to be treated unfairly by a bully, now wasn't exactly the place to stand up to one in her opinion. Especially towards a notorious gunman.

From the way she  silently objected, he thought it best for her sake to stand down. "Look,  just leave my friends alone." Being pleased over him not rushing  himself into a fight, he started to walk back over to her.

Taking her hand, Amanda looked back to Buford now snickering at the sight of him being soft. "Oh, what's wrong dude? You yellow?"

Hearing the other men  laughing over him walking away, Amanda was only reminded back to what  she knew about his future. His tendency to not want to seem like a  coward, to be the bigger man, to fight his own battles no matter the  cost— all the qualities that would only cost him to lose so much later on. "Marty, don't listen to him. C'mon let's just go."

"That's what I thought. A  yellow belly," Buford still continued, "Bet your little philly there  could agree with me. Sure'n she loses all interest in a dude with no  gumption."

Out of all the things Marty could take to hear from someone, it was another thing to involve her. He turned back to Tannen despite his partner now pulling his sleeve back to her in an attempt to avoid the confrontation. "Marty, it's not worth it."

Proving to be no use,  Amanda frowned to the sight of him now stepping up to Buford. Doc and  her exchanged a glance to one another over this, having her move over  towards him and Clara now to ask if they were alright. "Nobody calls me  yellow," Marty told him, the determination in his eyes ever present and  only making his friends worry for his safety.

"Then let's finish it.  Right now," Buford suggested. One of the men behind him reminded him  that the Marshal had all their guns to cause for them to argue on the  best date to settle this with. "I'll be back this way on Monday. We'll  settle this then, right there, out on the street, in front of the Palace  Saloon."

Marty stepped closer to him, continuing to play the situation off casually. "Yeah, right. When? High noon?"

"Noon? I do my killin' before breakfast," Buford told him, "Seven o'clock."

The phrase made him now  nervous over this being true and not something out of the movies.  Sucking himself into this mess, he had no choice but to finish it and  became tense once again to respond to Buford confidently. "Eight  o'clock. I do my killin' after breakfast."

"Marty—" Doc whispered over to him before Clara noticing.

"He's being an idiot," Amanda whispered back to him to continue to look over to Marty who became guilty over seeing her frustration.