xiii. the telescope

➩ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕥𝕚𝕞𝕖'𝕤 𝕒 𝕨𝕒𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕟' 𝕓𝕪 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕝 𝕤𝕞𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝕨/ 𝕛𝕦𝕟𝕖 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕔𝕒𝕤𝕙

"DOE EYES, DOE EYES. This is baby blue. Do you read me? Over." Marty called from the walkie talkie.

Looking to him on the other side of the room, Amanda laughed over the call signals. Grabbing the walkie talkie as Doc was working on tires of the Delorean, she through her response. "Check, baby blue."

"Great! These things still work!" He called back over as Doc took himself away from the Delorean and now over to the model. Hearing him continuously making noise fixing it up yesterday, she followed behind him to have Marty stand on the other side to look over it as well.

"Alright, kids. Once more, let's go over the entire plan and layout." He stopped to frown over to the detailed piece, feeling like the couple always lived through hearing him say this several times. "I apologize for the crudity of this model, but—"

"Yeah we know Doc, it's not to scale," Marty interrupted to have her hide a snicker over the statement.

Seeing Doc still eyeing the piece Amanda beamed over to him out of reassurance. "It's alright, Doc."

"Alright." Grabbing the miniature Delorean, he began to walk around to the other side of the model to begin the demonstration of their plans that coming Monday and tomorrow. "Tomorrow night— Sunday— we'll load the Delorean onto the tracks here on the spur, right by the old abandoned silver mine. The switch track is where the spur runs off the main line three miles out to Clayton—"

Doc paused over the correction with the events yesterday showing that the name of the ravine would now be changed. "Shonash Ravine. The train leaves the station at eight Monday morning. We'll stop it here, uncouple the cars from the tender, throw the switch track and then we'll hijack—" Amanda raised a brow over his phrasing of this. Taking notice, he corrected himself. "borrow the locomotive and use it to push the time machine. According to my calculations we'll reach 88 miles per hour just before we hit the edge of the ravine. At which point we'll be instantaneously transported back to 1985 and coast safely across the completed bridge."

Marty gestured beside her over to the windmill with large sign reading: Point of No Return. "What does this mean?"

"That's our fail-safe point. Up until there, we still have enough time to stop the locomotive before it plunges into the ravine." He looked to them seriously as he continued to wave a finger over the model and sign. "But once we pass this windmill, it's the future or bust."

Leaving towards the other side to grab the make-shit jumper cables used from the blacksmith tools in the shop, Doc handed one of them over to Amanda as she stood beside one of the coils. "Here you go Amanda, now connect that to the positive terminal." She did so as Marty now rushed over to where the train was meant to be running off on the track to prepare himself. "All right, you two. You all set?"

Doc pulled up the lever, both of teenagers telling him they were ready as sparks began to fly over the generated power station. The train sounded off by the miniaturized train station as Amanda smiled over the quaint sight of, essentially, a model railroad. "Train pullin' out of the station!" Doc continued to follow the play by play of the train moving around the model as Marty and her followed along beside it.

Continuing to move through past the switch track and pushing the tiny Delorean, the train moved at a faster pace the longer it was on the track. Another set of sparks flew past Doc as the train moved quickly, still chugging as it blew past them. Doc rushed to catch the model time vehicle before it fell off the edge of the ravine while the train landed on a set of pillows just beneath the tracks.