ii. friend in time

➩ 𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕘 𝕤𝕖𝕝𝕖𝕔𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟: 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕚'𝕞 𝕘𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕓𝕪 𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕝 𝕠𝕔𝕙𝕤

DOC TOOK the letter from Marty's hands to examine it for himself. Watching him begin to rummage through his drawers for something to read the piece with, he took out a magnifying glass to place before him before reading it aloud.

Since they both had already read through the words themselves the first time 'round, it was easy to turn their attention away from Doc for a few moments. Marty was quickly distracted by some of things in the house and turned his attention to the mind reading invention their friend used on him when first arriving to 1955. He smiled to it and placed it on his head jokingly. "Almost as big as your superiority complex," Amanda teased and raised a brow to him as he looked on confused over what the phrase meant, "Jeez, I spent the night teaching you this when you had that paper on Julius Cesar for Lit class?"

"You also ended up writing the paper for me instead of letting me figure it out the hard way," Marty reminded her as she couldn't help to laugh over the memory. Turning her attention back over to Doc, he continued to read through the letter.

"The overload shorted out the time circuits and destroyed the flying circuits. Unfortunately, the car will never fly again—" Doc stopped to look to them in disbelief as Marty placed the invention on Amanda's head instead. Hiding his laughter over the look of her like this, he ruffled his hair again before turning to Doc. "It actually flew?"

"Yeah. Well, you had a hover conversion done in the early 21st century," Marty explained.

Amanda set down the invention away from Marty, slightly shoving him for the act as Doc ignored this to continue to read through the letter. Seeing Marty was still distracted by the invention on the sidelines, she turned to him interested as he continued to play along. "Y'know, would be interesting to know what goes on in that pretty little head of yours," He said, not meeting her gaze over the comment.

"Could say the same for you," She returned to have him look up to her confidently, "Well I have some idea on what it probably is." He slightly began to blush over the insinuation as she nudged him over his own embarrassment.

Doc, being confused that Marty and her were not, in fact, lying about their Doc having been sent back in time finally turned over to them with his arms outstretched and a wide-grin on his face. "1885! Amazing, I actually end up as a blacksmith in the Old West."

"Pretty heavy, huh?" Marty told him.

"I buried the Delorean in the abandoned Delgado mine adjacent to the old Boot Hill cemetery as shown on the enclosed map. Hopefully, it should remain industry Ed and preserved until you uncover it in 1955. Inside, you will find repair instructions. My 1955 countepart—" Doc stopped reading to gesture to himself for emphasis. "That's me."

Marty looked up to her as he did this silently as Amanda tried to hide her laughter. "Should have no problem repairing it so that you can drive it back to the future. Once you have returned to 1985, destroy the time machine."

Raising up the trash can to reveal the car that Doc had burned their first trip in 1955, Amanda smiled to it in Marty's hands. "That's still in there?" She asked in surprise, "I know we were here for a week but fire hazard."

Doc turned to them for an answer in regards to the wishes left behind for Marty and Amanda to follow. "Destroy it?"

"Yeah, well, it's a long story, Doc," Amanda avoided in order to spare him the details of their last misadventures through time.

"Do not— I repeat— Do not attempt to come back here to get me. I am perfectly happy living in the fresh air and wide-open spaces, and I fear that unnecessary time travel only risks further disruption of the space-time continuum. And please take care of Einstein for me." Copernicus circled around Marty and her to have Amanda now become distracted over the pup before them as she followed him to a seat behind a chess board. Doc looked to them expectantly for another explanation. "Einstein?"

Marty nodded. "He's your dog, Doc. Einstein. It's what you call your dog in 1985," He answered for him to turn back to Amanda moving a chess piece out of curiosity to see if Copernicus would move one on his side.

Doc only chuckled over the name and looked back down to the letter. "I know the two of you will give him a good home. Remember to walk him twice a day and that he only likes canned dog food. These are my wishes. Please respect them and follow them."

"And so kids, I now say farewell and wish you Godspeed. You've both been good, kind, and loyal friends to me, and you've made a real difference in my life." Doc slowly began to read the ending of the letter to have her turn up from her position to take Marty's hand to help her up and stand alongside him and Doc. "I will always treasure our relationship and think of you with fond memories, warm feelings, and a special place in my heart. Your friend in time, Doc— Emmett L. Brown, September 1st 1885."

Seeing him moved by the goodbye just as the two of them were, Amanda squeezed Marty's hand for reassurance as Doc lowered the letter to face them. "I never knew I could write anything so touching."

Marty pat his shoulder over this kindly. "I know. It's beautiful."

Copernicus softly whimpered in his seat to have Doc smiling in an attempt to raise his dog's spirits. "It's alright, Copernicus. Everything's gonna be fine," He spoke to have her notice Marty become slightly emotional himself.

"I'm sorry, Doc. It's all my fault you're stuck back there. I never should have let Biff get to me," He exclaimed to have her hold onto him in an attempt to calm him down.

He looked down to her in his arms, slightly easing up again to wrap an arm over her instead. "Don't start with that, Marty," She whispered to him.

Doc nodded despite not hearing the words from Amanda and only watched on to yet another embrace between the two. "There are plenty worse places to be than the Old West. I could've ended up in the Dark Ages," He suggested.

Not helping to laugh over this, Amanda continued to aid in trying to make this seem as light-hearted as possible. "Could've burned you at the stake for being a heretic," She commented to have Doc smile over the joke, grabbing the map that was left to them from off to the side.

"Alright, according to this, the time vehicle's sealed off in a side tunnel." Marty and her nodded understandingly to follow along where the Doc was pointing to exactly. "We. May. Have. To. Blast."

A/N posted the first two chapters because i cannot stress how much i love the third film and 🥺✨ i love writing for these two especially in this ah!! much love & thank you for the continuous support for this series. see you soon, xx
~J.S. 💋