eleven

His footsteps were not nearly as loud as the heartbeat in his ears, pulsating with every step he took.

He had left a few minutes prior, but had to step into a stores bathroom to have a quick breather. He didn't think he would be this nervous as he was usually a very put together guy. We all have our moments.

Step by step, he was closer to Emerson. Harry was, of course, excited to see her again, even though it hadn't been very long since their last encounter. His heart was pounding, his hands were shaking, and he didn't know what to do with himself.

As he walked, his thoughts began to wander back to a time when everything was so different. When he still lived in the UK. Specifically, when he was about to meet Caroline's parents.

**

"I'm nervous," Caroline said. Harry turned to look at her and wondered where this came from. When she first proposed the idea of meeting her parents, she was ecstatic. Now, she looked like she was going to be sick.

"Why, love? What's wrong?" Harry questioned.

"I've never had a guy meet my parents before."

Harry smiled softly at his girlfriend and walked over to where she was sitting on his bed. They were due at a restaurant that Caroline's dad had picked out, in 15 minutes. Of course, Harry was nervous as well, as he had never met a girls parents before. Things were getting pretty serious between the two of them, so it was bound to happen. 

"It'll be alright. They'll love me," Harry said with a soft grin. 

"I know they will. It's still scary, though," Caroline spoke her doubts. 

"Everything in life can be scary at times. Having your sexy boyfriend meet your parents isn't even on that list." 

Caroline smiled at her lovers cheeky words and turned to give him a peck on the lips. 

"I love you, Harry." 

"I love you, too, Caroline." 

**

 Harry shuddered as the memory coursed through his brain. Those times were very different and it was only a few months later that everything turned to shambles for the pair. He doesn't want what happened to him and Caroline, to happen to Emerson and himself. He knew Emerson, even after just few days of knowing her,  would never do what Caroline did, but maybe that's what scares him. 

Everything was picture perfect with Caroline that what she did was so shocking to everyone. No one suspected a thing. But, Harry was trying to go into.. whatever this was between him and Emerson, with an open mind. It's what his mom, and Robin would want. 

Given the fact that he wasn't meeting her parents, but rather her aunt and uncle, didn't make him feel any less at ease. If anything, it was the same level of intimidation. He didn't know the full story as to why she was staying with her aunt and uncle, but he hoped that one day, she would trust him enough to share that bit of information. 

He arrived at the building where Emerson lived and walked in through the doors. The air was a bit crisp around this time of night so walking into the lobby, the gush of warm air was welcomed. Harry stalked over to the elevator and pressed the button to the third floor. A few moments later, the doors closed and the box of metal ascended. 

Harry wiped his sweaty palms on the fabric of his black jeans. He couldn't bring himself to sit for a few hours in some snug dress pants, although his skinny jeans were tighter than most formal pants. The familiar ding was heard throughout the small space, and Harry walked down the hallway to the designated door; 5E. He brought his fist up to the door and knocked. He could hear some excited murmurs from the inside of the apartment, and began to sweat even more. He was glad he put on deodorant before he came. The door opened, and Harry brought his emerald green eyes up from their heavily focused placement on the suddenly, very interesting wooden floor.