Emotional Punching Bag

Patton rushed out and hurried as fast as he could to the restroom, the only room that locked. He shut the door and crouched down slowly sliding against the door. His head hit his knees and the tears instantly appear. Although he's alone, he still tries to hold them back. He doesn't understand why his "happy bubble" had been breaking so much easier and why the simplest things hurt so bad.

   He heard boots quietly stomp towards the door he didn't recognize the footsteps, then it dawned on him. He quickly wiped his tears and choked down a sob.

  "Sorry if I'm taking too long Deceit, I'll be out in a minute!", He said with convincing cheerfulness.

   He heard a soft slide down the door and a body hit the ground. "Patton, you're allowed to be upset and I can try to help you if you just open the door.", Deceit said in a soft tone

   Patton was horrified that Deceit even suspected the truth. "Deceit you sound silly, I'm never upset!", Patton said with a chuckle.

   "I know you're scared that I'm a dark side, but Thomas's morality is the side I'm supposed to benefit the most. Please just give me a chance like you gave Virgil.", Deceit said in an almost sad tone.

    Patton felt a heart string snap. He could always tell what someone was feeling or if they told the truth, he genuinely trusted Deceit in that moment. Which he realized was kind of ironic due to his name.

   Patton summoned all the courage he had and opened the door. Nobody had ever seen him cry, let alone  without a smile! This was a terrifying moment for him.

   Deceit looked the small figure over, shocked to see him so sad despite it just confirming what he knew. He closed the door and locked it.

   Patton's heart was pounding he was trapped with one of his worst fears, possibly disappointing or hurting someone.

   "So now what?", Patton said still somehow in a cheerful tone.

    "It's up to you, I'm just here to help you out", Deceit said softly, "Do you want to talk it out?"

    Patton viciously shook his head and seemed even more tense at the thought.

    "Okay we will work our way up to that, let's just sit down", Deceit said almost in a whisper.

    Deceit sat down first, trying to squeeze his body into the small bathroom. Patton curled up into almost a ball next to him. He was still fighting back tears.

   Deceit placed one hand on Patton's shoulder and he violently flinched. He  went to pull it away but Patton just pulled it around his shoulders.

   Deceit was not opposed to this in the slightest.

  Finally Patton started crying again into his small arms, shaking.

  Deceit tightened his arm around Patton and shifted him closer. Patton seemed too occupied to oppose.

   "Hey Pat you know what I see when I look at you?", Deceit said softly stroking Patton's hair.

   "What?", Patton said stifling down a sob.

    "A good person who everyone takes for granted", Deceit said with a smile.

    Patton untucked his head and looked up at Deceit. His eyes looking exactly like a puppies in that moment.

    Deceit conjured a blue flower and softly placed it behind Patton's ear.

    Patton felt safe and understood.

    "Deceit would it bother you if I asked a question?", Patton said nervously.

    "No of course not", Deceit said almost entranced by the puppy eyes.

    " You promise? I don't want to impose on y-", Patton got interrupted.

     "Patton you're not imposing, I enjoy your company", Deceit said softly.

    Patton looked completely shocked at that and teared up. This pissed Deceit off but he couldn't show that emotion right now.

   "Why am I, Morality, the side you're supposed to benefit the most? How does a deceitful nature benefit me? Oh wait that sounded mean I'm sor-", Patton said panickedly before being interrupted.

   "There is nothing to apologize for, you have done nothing wrong. I benefit you the most because good people, like Thomas, need more deceit than they allow themselves to have for proper selfcare. Without me, the heart strives to fix everyone and never gives up", Deceit said sounding a lot like Logan.

   "Oh that makes sense, I suppose we as a team would make Thomas a better and happier person!", Patton said less sadly.

   Deceit did not mind the idea of having Patton as a teammate.

  "Deceit if we're going to be partners...", Deceit almost choked at that phrasing, "It's weird to keep calling you Deceit as that's not all you are"

   Deceit looked over at the curled up figure next to him. "My name... is Janus...", He said hesitantly.

  Patton looked at him, "Wow that's so cool! It sounds like a prince from somewhere distant and magical or something"

  Janus heart skipped a beat, "Yeah I guess it does..."