27. Attack on the Fortress

Lord Abrehan DeLacy was sitting in his billiard room in front of the big windows overlooking the manor park. Outside, the sun was shining, the flowers were blooming and the birds were singing in the trees. And yet, in the midst of this bright day, dark thunderclouds seemed to be hanging over His Lordship's head.

"Hell and damnation! That little witch...!" A fist slammed down onto a nearby coffee table, splintering the expensive wood right down the middle and sending an expensive Ming vase crashing down onto the carpet. "Escape? From me? You dare try and escape from me?"

Wood and porcelain shattered against the wall, as more furniture was sent flying. A moment later, a footman entered the room and started cleaning up the debris from the floor. Lord Abrehan didn't even glance at him. Instead, he stared at the landscape outside as if it was the country of his most hated enemy.

In a way it was true.

After all, he was looking at a land full of people who didn't belong to him. Not completely, like they were bloody supposed to! Someone had dared to rebel!

Just then, a knock came from the door.

"Inside!" Lord Abrehan bellowed.

The door opened, and a man with the demeanour of a butler and the face of a bulldog stuck his head inside the room.

"My Lord, there are—"

"What is it? Have the riders returned yet?"

"No, My Lord, but—"

"Then why are you showing your ugly face here? Get back to work and see to it the wench is found!"

"That's just it, My Lord. She is. There's a man in your livery down at the gate. Apparently, he's from one of your estates to the west and he has the girl with him!"

Lord Abrehan froze.

"What. Did. You. Say?"

"The girl, My Lord. He had the girl in his custody."

A grin spread across Lord Abrehan's face. Not his public smile. Oh no. This was a smile few people ever got to see. The only creatures who got to see it were slaves. Objects. Toys.

"Well, well...it appears that the Lord is smiling on me. God always rewards the just and punishes the wicked." He cracked his knuckles. "That wench dared spurn my generosity? Ha! Let's help out with the punishing, shall we?"

"Yes, My Lord."

Striding out of the room, Lord Abrehan headed downstairs, past the opulent statues and paintings decorating the hallways, and towards the front doors. Stepping out into the sunlight, he came to a halt at the top of the elegant marble porch.

"Where is he? Where is the man, Camden?"

"There, My Lord." The butler pointed at a man standing just inside the open gate in the cast iron fence that surrounded the property. Lord Abrehan let his eyes wander over the fellow. Three-day-beard, bags under his eyes... Even in the sumptuous livery, not an impressive man. Not that it mattered. Not that he mattered. He was just a serf. Flicking past the man, Lord Abrehan's eyes immediately zeroed in on the small figure standing hunched beside him.

"Well, well...the prodigal returns." Striding forward, DeLacy spread his arms in welcome. "There you are! Finally!" He smiled, sending a shiver through the girl that made a feeling of immense satisfaction rise within him. Oh, the things he would do to her...! Soon, she would not just shiver for him. How fortunate his manor had thick walls. Turning towards the man in livery beside the girl, he let his gaze flicker over the despicable plebeian. If that man laid his filthy hands on his property...but no. He wouldn't dare. None of his men would dare touch what was his. Widening his fake smile, Lord Abrehan stepped forward. "Good man! You did well! The silly girl isn't used to working away from home and ran off because she felt homesick. Just think! She could have gotten lost in the forest and fallen prey to predators..."