35. A Visit to an Old Friend

"There, look ahead! It should be just five miles now." Lifting his gaze from the map, Lord Patrick pointed through the open carriage window, where they could see a wooden road sign pointing westwards. "Do you see? It says Collun—"

"Collundale? It's Collundale?"

Suddenly, His Lordship found himself holding a map of empty air, and nothing more. Slowly, he turned his head towards Amy. "I beg your pardon?"

"I told ye, I ain't in dis for free," Amy retorted, not lifting her nose from the map she had liberated for a second. "Ye can 'ave a pardon for two shilling and sixpence."

Lord Patrick lifted a lordly eyebrow. "I was referring," he enquired, "to why you misappropriated my map. What is so strange about this particular village that makes you all so on edge?"

A crunching noise came from the corner. Lord Patrick glanced over, and saw Karim thoroughly grinding down the top layer of his teeth.

"And since we're on the subject of strange things..." Leaning out of the carriage, he pointed to three coaches driving behind them. Iron-plated carriages with very silent, efficient-looking men inside them. "Who are they?"

"Colleagues," Karim growled.

"And why, pray, Mr Karim, are three carriages full of your colleagues from your employer's headquarters following us to our goal? I doubt we will have use for that many office clerks and secretaries."

That, for some reason, caused a snort to come from the bulky bodyguard. Without a word, he exchanged a look with Amy that seemed to exchange a silent message. Something very much akin to Poor fool. Ignorance is bliss.

Needless to say Lord Patrick was less than pleased about this.

They clearly knew something he didn't. They clearly knew each other well enough to exchange words without having to talk and...and...

It aggravated him.

No.

It...enervated him.

No...no, it...it pissed him the bloody hell off!

In the corner, a peacefully sleeping Titus gave a disinterested snore—which only pissed Patrick off even more!

Determined to get to the bottom of this, he shifted closer to the main culprit.

Yes, that is why I am doing this. There is no other reason at all for me moving closer to her. It's mere curiosity.

"Is something particularly special about this village named 'Collundale'? The name seems fairly common to me. It doesn't bring anything to mind." He stared at her, bringing to bear the full force of his aristocratic aura of authority.

Judging by the way the corner of her mouth twitched, it had about as much effect on her as an aristocratic avocado.

"Oh, da name ain't nothin' special. I'm more interested in da people who live dere."

People? What people? Could it be...a man?

And why, pray, are you worrying about that?

He cleared his throat. "What kind of people?"

"A certain...friend of mine?"

Now, Karim wasn't the only one grinding his teeth. His Lordship's gaze bored into her. "What kind of friend?"

Her eyes danced at her smirk widened. Heck! Did she know what he was thinking? No, she couldn't possibly know! His face was betraying nothing whatsoever. She couldn't possibly know.