Chapter 2

Mae reclined in the bathtub and did her best to relax as the warm water enveloped her body. She would lie in the tub until her skin got all wrinkly and pickled if she could.

"Look at this,"Trina said. Mae cracked her eyes open. Trina extended her arm to show her a magazine. "Isn't that a pretty dress?" She laid on the other side of the bathtub in wait for her response.

Mae stared at the dress in the magazine. It was pink and frilly, and she'd love to own it- but she knew she'd never be able to afford it. "Yeah."

"You should buy it," Trina encouraged.

"With what money?

Trina shrugged. "You said you saved some up."

"For college, not a dress. Besides, where would I wear it?"

Trina made an 'I don't know' sound. "You could wear it to church. Or to the dance. It would look so beautiful on you."

Mae handed the magazine back to her cousin. "I think my skin would go into shock if I put some new clothes on it."

Trina laughed. "Well, it doesn't hurt to look." A troubled look crossed her face. "Aren't you going to tell your mom about college?"

Mae shrugged. The water splashed in the tub. "I don't know. I just don't want to hear her whole breakdown about how she did everything wrong with her life when I tell her about it."

Trina nodded understandingly. "Tell her today so we can have a good dinner." She climbed out of the bathtub, her back to Mae, and wrapped herself in a towel. "I'm tired of chicken and green beans."

"Maybe," Mae relented. Trina disappeared into their bedroom.

"You know, I feel like things are going to be good. Aunt Lisa just got that secretary job." Hopefully, Mae thought. But her mother usually kept jobs for about five minutes on average. Mae climbed out of the tub too. She dried herself and slipped on the dress hanging over the door.

"God, we gotta hurry up," Trina said, rushing back into the bathroom "Zip me up." She wore one of Mae's old church dresses. It came down past her knees even though the dress wasn't meant to. The girls got ready in record speed, putting on their socks and shoes and trying to brush their hair into order. Mae never understood the point of having to look nice for church anyway. She wasn't sure who they were trying to kid. Jesus knew they were poor, and everyone else at their church certainly did, too. What sort of God would care that his followers didn't wear the same dress to church two weeks in a row?

Mae grabbed her purse and followed Trina out of the room and downstairs. Her mother and aunt were at the kitchen table, already waiting for them.

"Good morning," Trina offered into the kitchen, kissing her mother and aunt. "Sorry we took so long."

"We were wondering if y'all slept too late," Mae's mother said. Mae wanted to make a jab back at her mother, but she knew it wouldn't be worth arguing right before church. Mae smiled at her aunt. She'd always been the more agreeable of the two and quite honestly, Mae envied Trina for having her as a mother.

"Nope, just bathing," Mae responded pointedly.

Trina looked between Mae and her mother, her eyes lighting up. She brushed Mae's shoulder. "Don't you have something to say to Mom and Aunt Lisa?" she asked.

Mae glared at her cousin. Leave it to big mouth Trina. Her mother and Aunt Lynn looked at her expectantly. Mae nodded her head and forced a shaky smile. "I made so much money yesterday," Mae lied. "We're not going to be behind on the electric bill."