Chapter 5

Mae crashed through the back doors of the restaurant. She rushed into the kitchen, throwing down her bookbag and grabbing her apron off the hook. "Have they been waiting long?" she asked the other waitress.

The waitress shrugged. "No, just like five minutes. But I gotta go get my kid from school so I can't take them."

Mae cursed. Five minutes was an eternity in restaurant time. She rolled her eyes and rushed out of the kitchen. What a treat, two old ladies. She noticed Jesse clearing dishes off the booth right behind them. He winked at Mae.

"I apologize for the wait, I just got off school," Mae started, forcing a smile. "How are we doing this afternoon?"

"Thirsty," the lady on the far side of the table said. Her friend smirked. Mae wanted to spit on her. Of course, they were thirsty. It was hot outside and she was running late.

"Well, what can I grab you to drink?" She questioned.

"Two coffees," she said shortly.

"Perfect, I'll have that right out for you ladies," Mae said. She was barely out of earshot before she heard the other woman say to her friend something about her not getting a tip because people always made excuses.

Mae kicked open the door to the kitchen. She grabbed two mugs from the hanging rack and poured some coffee. Hell, while she was at it, she poured herself a cup of tea. There was no point in rushing if she wasn't going to be rewarded for it.

"How are we doing today?" Walter asked her. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead. He wiped them off with a small towel.

"Pissed now, because of those old bitches," Mae sighed. "I wish I could just take this hot coffee and throw it on them."

Walter laughed. "I mean, no one's stopping you. Not gonna lie, you certainly have it harder out there than I do in here."

"Tell me about it," Mae agreed. She saw Jesse enter the other side of the kitchen.

Walter followed her gaze. "Bit of a loner, ain't he?"

Mae shrugged. "I only talked to him a couple times," she lied. "Guess he likes to keep to himself."

Walter glanced back at his food. "He gives me a bad feeling. Don't know what it is." Maybe the fact that he was a thief, Mae thought. But Walter didn't know that.

"Hm, never noticed," she said. She set down her tea and picked up the two mugs of coffee. "Back into hell I go."

***

Mae looked up at the stars. Everything looked a little fuzzy under the haze of a couple beers but it certainly beat being at work. Jesse was stretched out next to her in his flatbed. She thought about how Walter said Jesse gave him a bad feeling. He could have been the devil himself for all Mae cared, she just appreciated the rides home. Tonight, though, he hadn't taken her straight home. They parked in a field, talking, drinking, and smoking. As far as Mae was concerned, it was better than being at home.

"So after all that, I take it you had a rough day?" Jesse asked. Smoke curled from his lips.

Mae nodded. "Try a rough week."

"Well do you wanna keep talking about it? Don't girls like talking about their feelings and all that?"

Mae snorted. "I would if someone gave a damn."

"I give a damn."

"Sure you do."

Jesse looked down at her. "I'm not out here for my health."