Chapter 16

"Looks like he needs to order," another waitress said, tossing her head in the direction of one of Mae's tables. She nodded, frazzled, and hurried off to the table. It had been a week since the horrible incident, and Mae hadn't felt any better. She just felt more and more sleep deprived and guilt ridden as the days went by.

Mae approached the young man at the table. He smiled warmly. "Good afternoon," Mae greeted, only half-bothering to look up at him.

"It is, isn't it?"

No, it wasn't. "Can I get you started with some coffee, tea, water?"

"Black coffee would be awesome."

"Got it. Do you wanna order now or do you want a second?"

"I'm waiting on my mother. She's stuck in traffic. I guess she could just order when she gets here."

Mae shrugged and finally looked up. The boy looked well-groomed, and he definitely didn't look like he was from around. "See anything that looks good?"

"Course I do."

That was the oldest line in the book. Still, Mae couldn't help the tiny smirk that crossed her face. "I was talking about on the menu. For lunch."

"I don't know, I haven't been here since I was a kid. Ate here all the time with my family."

"You poor thing," Mae sighed.

"I'm only stuck here for the week. I go to school three hours away now, best thing that's ever happened to me," the boy explained. Mae hoped she'd get a taste of that life. Maybe if she ever did, she could forget what had happened.

"I'm jealous... I'll give you a minute to decide. Anything else before I leave-"

"What time do you get off?"

"I don't even know your name."

"Louis, nice to meet you."

Mae stared at him. No, she absolutely was not going to entertain another boy. She needed to sort out her life first. But Louis looked nice. He was going to college, so he was clearly interested in making something of himself, unlike Jesse. His eyes were kind. If things went badly, she'd probably never have to see him again once he left.

"I get off at seven," she said in a small voice. "I'll come back by when your mom gets here."

Mae hurried away from the table. As she headed into the kitchen, she caught Jesse staring at her. He followed her into the kitchen. Instead of acknowledging him, Mae focused on pouring Louis' cup of coffee.

"Who were you talking to?" he asked, too close to her for her liking.

"I've talked to a lot of people today."

"Don't be dumb."

Mae shrugged. "I'm not." She set down the coffeepot.

"So don't act like it."

"He was a customer. I need to make tips, you know." Mae wasn't going to allow Jesse to rile her up. She refused.

"Why're you being so damn distant?"

Mae wanted to laugh in his face. She could name a few reasons. Maybe he'd forgotten he threatened to shoot her last week. "Just got a lot of things on my mind," she said nonchalantly. "I have work to do." She brushed past him and left the kitchen.

***

Mae leaned up against Louis' car. She was a little embarrassed at how drunk she was, but decided the best she could do now was hope that she didn't do something reckless and embarrassing to make him never want to talk to her again.